Ch. 2 - A thief as a Friend?

It was almost Midnight, the moonlight was peeping through the window, the curtains were blowing along with cool breezes. Bright was lying into Win's arms with eyes closed, while Win was admiring his features. His face looked calm and his white skin was glowing under the soft moonlight.

The curtain blew across Win's face snapping him out of his thoughts.

"Bright! Hey Bright!" Win called Bright's name in a soft voice, shaking the boy a little.
A few minutes passed, Bright opens his eyes slowly and saw Win staring at him. After a second of recalling everything, Bright was about to scream but a hand covered his mouth. "Shhh..., stay quiet, wanna have another panic attack!!, don't be afraid I am not gonna hurt you"
Bright was trying to speak but he could only make an 'umm' sound as his mouth was covered by Win.

"Bright, is everything alright?" Aunty Jena asks knocking on the door as she heard some sound coming from Bright's room.

Metawin kinda panicked and gave a nervous look to Bright. Bright felt irritated so he grabs Win's hand and shoved it away.

"Yes, aunty. It was just a rat." Bright replied.

"Okay, don't be scared and go to sleep"

"Good Night"

Aunt Jena left after greeting Good Night.

"Thank God" Win sighed in relief.

"Thank me, I could have got you arrested, don't you feel any shame when you rob, what do you get by stealing people's hard-earned money, if you want money then why don't you earn it-"

Win covered the Bright mouth with his hand again.

"You were better unconscious," Win said.

Bright shoved his hand away "Get out of here" Bright ordered. "And never come back here and never rob anyone."

Win just stood there looking at Bright

"How shameless, you are still standing here, get lost"

"See, I was gonna leave after doing my job, but then I saw you. I mean I saw the way your uncle treated you. It was me who stole money but he slapped you." Win said

"It's none of your concerns, it's my family matter."

Win chuckled and said sarcastically "Family, huh? I admit I don't have a family but I know this is not like a family thing."

"Listen, these people have raised me and they have the right to get angry at me."

"But there's a difference between Anger and Hate."

Bright remains silent for a second and then said: "oh! so now a thief will teach me what's right?"

Now it was Win's turn to remain silent.
"It's not my hobby to steal or rob, however, at least you have an uncle to take care of you. I am lonely since childhood. I know how it feels when there is no one to wipe your tears in the solitude of the night.. Maybe that's why after seeing your tears, I started seeing myself somewhere in you."

Win tried to laugh with teared-up eyes." You are right, I am a thief, what can I teach you. Today, for the first time I saw someone crying cause of me and this thief felt bad. I am sorry. I'll give back what I stole yesterday. You go and take your medicine."
Win wiped his tears and walks to the window to leave, Bright was now emotional looking at Win's tears, calls him  Win stood in his place, he gave Bright a questioning look. Bright hesitantly said "sit there"

"You won't have panic attacks, right?"

Bright softly laughed at Win's question and shook his head. Win sits there on the window.
"What's your name?" Bright asked

"Metawin"

"Don't you fear getting caught after stealing?"

"Who has nothing to lose, for whom there is no one to cry, why he should be afraid? I am very experienced now"

"Why don't you do some work and earn money?" Bright asked again

"I didn't study, at other places those people don't treat me well. I did use to work at a shop but the boss was very rude just like your uncle. I hated him so I stole his money. That was my first theft and now it's like a habit." Win replied

"Do you enjoy stealing?"

"Where do I have to build a bungalow by stealing? I steal so that I don't have sleep empty stomach at night, I steal so that i don't have to cry because of hunger."

"Where do you live?" Bright questioned

Win laughed before replying "I don't have a house to live in, I stay at an abandoned garage."

Bright felt bad looking at Win's sad face.
Win wipes his eyes and says
"If your questions are done, can i go? don't worry I won't come here ever. And I'll return what I have stolen, the money may be a bit less as I had a good meal last night, for the first time in a restaurant and paid for it with that money."

Bright was emotional he ask Win want to have something

"At 1:30 AM, you are offering dinner, to a thief, seriously?" Win laughs, Bright smile and ask Win to wait for him. He goes to the kitchen.

After Bright went downstairs, Win thought to himself 'An hour ago this guy fainted seeing me and now he is offering me food. I am feeling guilty for stealing here, but I am also happy that I got to meet such a sweet person.'

Bright came back with some rice and curry and gave it to win. Win immediately take the plate, pour the curry on rice and eats it with his hands. But then he feels Bright looking at him.
"You can eat comfortably, as you want," Bright says.

Win eats the curry rice,  Bright hands him a glass of water. Win drinks the water. And Bright asked him how was the curry.
"Now I won't come here to steal money, but to steal food" both Bright and Win laughed.

"If you wish you can come here to eat everyday use, Give up stealing.  Bright suggested

" No! no! Your uncle doesn't like to feed you and you want to feed a thief, you don't need to."

"I am not asking you to sit at the dinner table and have dinner with us. You can come to my room and you know how " Bright said and glances at the window.

"And why would you ask me to come here? You are sympathising with me after listening to my sad tale?"

Bright remains silent for a second, "we can start being friends." Bright said softly. "I'll get someone with whom I can share my thoughts"

Both Bright and Win started laughing.

"You are asking a thief to be your friend, what if I steal something?" Win said leaning towards Bright

"Today too, you came here to steal but my tears changed your intentions, my friendship may change you habit of stealing." Bright said looking straight into Win's eyes and Win did the same.

['Dhire dhiree, Haule haule,  
chupke se abb hogaa,  
kehte he ye, pyaar jisee hum,
Naa jaane kab hogaa..
bade acche lagte he, ye raate, mulakaate, ye baate aur....???']
.
.
.
TO BE CONTINUED....

(Every Friday & Tuesday After 9:30PM)