Chapter Two: A Day to Forget

Xander woke up to a pounding on the front door of his humble home. Xander answered, assuming it was a messenger. Boar stood in the doorway, his large frame making it seem like it was dark all of a sudden.

"Boy." He said, "You're in all kinds of trouble."

Xander was surprised, he thought he would have been blameless. Nevertheless, he ran upstairs to his room as he struggled to open the second story window. Sadly, Xander remembered he had nailed it shut in case someone tried to break in. Xander trudged back down the staircase where Boar stood, waiting.

"I'm just gonna go with you now." Xander said as he walked with Boar out of his house.

They walked through town, heading to the citadel for what Xander assumed was a trial. Boar and several other guards were flanking him. Xander knew running was an option but then if he was caught, he could be hanged. As the group reached the citadel, Xander realized he had never gotten too close to it before. The building easily stood 100 feet tall, which was about as tall as the Shia house goes up. Xander stepped through the massive, stone doors that he thought would sentence him to a horrible demise.

To Xander's surprise, nobody in the citadel looked grim-faced at all, only determined. Xander couldn't take it anymore, "What in the world is going on?" He asked anyone that would answer.

Eventually, Xander realized he was right. Something was up. The judge stood at his podium and explained,very clearly, what was going on.

"Xander, everyone in this room knows that you took the Shia house's ruby. Don't even try and deny it." The judge began, "However, that ruby was planted there, along with the letter, so that you would steal it."

Xander's jaw flopped open. He realized he probably looked pretty stupid and shut his mouth. Only to open it again,
" Why would you do that?!" He asked stupidly.

"Because, Xander, someone needs use of your skills." The judge replied.

Xander wasn't even going to try to interrupt him. His mind was too busy running a horse race.

"The king needs you." The judge said with finality, "Therefore, you will help him or be imprisoned. Your choice."

Once again, Xander felt his jaw almost unhinge.

"I'd rather like to avoid prison, but what does the king need me for?" Xander asked, curious about his fate.

"I have no clue." The judge said, "Now. Go and help your king."

Xander was spun around and led to a carriage that awaited him outside. He was trying to process what was happening, but he couldn't. Everything was moving way too fast for him, he would just have to wait and see. The carriage door opened, and to Xander it looked like the gaping maw of a beast ready to devour him. Xander took a deep breath and sat down inside of the, surprisingly roomy, carriage.

Xander bounced up and down inside of the carriage as it finally went over some cobble roads. That, Xander knew, was a sign of civilization. Xander didn't know how far they had traveled, but he knew that it had been at least a day and a half since he was tried and forcibly transported. Xander guessed he was a long way from Zar, which made him a little sad. The people there were always like family to him, they understood him. Now he had to start over in a place he felt he didn't belong.

Xander took a look out of the window of his carriage. His eyes were met with a wonderful sight as he saw what he guessed was the king's castle. Even at a distance Xander could tell that it completely dwarfed the citadel at his home. Xander also saw people talking and trading in almost every street. The town was outside of the castle, it ran right up to the castle walls and then, there was a gate. The carriage bypassed the town and went straight to the gate, much to Xander's disappointment. He would have to return and see what all of the merchants had, he always liked getting new things. There was a brief discussion between the carriage driver and a gate guard. As soon as it was over, slowly the massive gate began to rise. Behind it was a drawbridge and past that was the castle. Xander couldn't even guess the castle's height, it was bigger than anything he had ever seen. He had seen elephants at a circus that passed through Zar, but they couldn't even compete with the size of the castle.

Unlike most buildings, the castle shone a beautiful, bright blue during the daytime. Xander was completely taken aback. The carriage tumbled loudly over the wooden drawbridge as the next and final gate opened to the castle.