Chapter Eight: The First Mission

A week had passed and Xander had all but mastered the sword. As Xander was entering the courtyard, he saw Ky and Maurice running around. Not the usual running, but it seemed like they were trying to gather things up.

"What's going on?" Xander called perplexed.

Ky stopped running and turned to Xander, breathing heavily, "We have a mission. Come with me."

Xander followed Ky back to the large throne room that he had first arrived in. The king sat on his throne and smiled as he saw Xander.

"I trust your training is going well?" The king said, addressing Xander.

"Yes sire." Xander said, bowing his head in respect.

"Good. Now it is time for you to go with the Shadows on this mission."

"What is the mission?"

"The shadows need to break into a house that is in the country of Mira. The house is filled with criminals that mug people for money."

"What are we after?"

"Take every septum of gold that they have and we will use it for this kingdom."

"Isn't that a bit selfish?" Xander said before he could stop himself.

"Maybe it is," the king said,"bit that is none of your concern. Just do as I ask."

Xander nodded his head, he figured that the muggers probably had it coming to them anyways. Xander and Ky left the chamber and met up with Jo and Maurice.

"Let's go." Jo said, all business.

Everyone packed into a carriage and began the ride to Mira. This, Xander thought, is going to be a long ride.

Xander woke up as the carriage tossed him around. It had been a couple of days since they left the castle and Xander spent most of his time talking to Jo. He asked her about where she was from, but she only told him that: "Those were dark days for me, I'd rather not talk about them." Xander didn't mind, he enjoyed her company. He made small talk with her and even played a game of eye spy. By the time that the carriage reached Mira, Xander and Jo had become inseparable.

"What else is there." Xander thought aloud, "Have you been to Mira before."

"Yes." Jo said as she sunk her head a little.

"Not a good memory?" Xander asked, understanding.

"Many bad ones." She replied sadly.

"I won't ask then." Xander said, looking out the window.

Ky had spent the entire trip asleep, which almost seemed impossible. It was a three day trip. Maurice just wrote in his journal and doodled, he wasn't too sociable. Xander and Jo had done all of the talking, even the carriage driver didn't talk. What they didn't know is that everyone was talking, but they were too busy talking to each other to listen. Only when Ky slapped the back of Xander's head did Xander even notice another human being.

"What was that for?" Xander asked.

"Hey. Romeo. We've been in Mira for an hour now, and I've spent that hour trying to tell you." Ky said, looking a little angry.

"Sorry Ky, I guess I just don't pay much attention." Xander said, relaxing for the last part of the trip.

As the carriage arrived in Mira, Xander noticed that the building looked very different here. They were all completely square and made of sandstone. Even the Capitol building was just a big square. The town seemed bland, but the people didn't. The townspeople littered the streets, each one talking to merchants or selling something interesting. Everyone seemed to be happy.

The carriage stopped at what Xander guessed was an inn. Everyone got out and went inside. They had a meeting in their room.

"We will wait until nightfall and enter through the upstairs window." Ky said as he drew a schematic of the house. "Once inside, we will work out way down to the cellar, knocking out any guards in our wa- Xander! Are you listening?!"

Xander's head snapped up as he realized he had been staring at Jo. He blushed brightly, "Sorry Ky, please continue."

"I'm done." Ky said, a knowing smile crept across his face.

"Right well, let's get some rest. We will need it for tonight." Maurice said quietly.

Everyone went back to their own rooms in the inn, relaxing as they waited for the moment to strike like a serpent. Xander wondered if everything would go smoothly.