Chapter Five: The Big Day

Xander woke himself on time, fearing Jo's wrath. He got out of his comfy bed and dressed himself in loose, green clothing. Xander opened the door to his room, only to see Jo smiling at him.

"You avoided it today." She said, setting a pale of water on the ground.

"Yeah. I think I'd rather wake up without that." Xander replied smiling back.

Xander walked into the courtyard staring down his new challenge. It was a statue.

"You have to pick it up." Jo said with a smirk.

"I'm going to die here." Xander rambled, walking to the statue. He crouched down and wrapped his arms around the enormous statue. With a heave, he picked it up as far as he could. Xander did his best not to throw his back out.

"Two inches." Ky called with a chuckle.

Xander's pride hurt as he walked away, preparing for the next exercise. Xander was led to an old wooden building that was about 20 feet high. It had a front entrance and four windows. It also had a cellar, which instantly made Xander curious.

"You have ten minutes to locate the item of value in this home. Begin when you are ready." Jo's voice was loud, even though she was far above him.

"Fantastic."

Xander paced around the house, but he just couldn't seem to focus on it. Xander really wanted to check out the cellar. There simply had to be something in there. Xander yelled loudly, "Go!"

Xander rushed forward, throwing the cellar door open and running down the stairs. As he reached the landing he looked around and saw a decent sized interior that must run under the entirety of the house. It was pitch black. Xander hit himself in the face with the palm of his hand, he had made a fatal error. Without any hesitation, Xander ran up the steps and entered the old wooden house. He needed something he could set alight. Xander examined the living room and saw a board lying on the ground. Too easy, he thought as he rushed over to it. Xander suddenly had a strange thought, maybe he should check the rest of the house. Xander had a flashback to the ruby heist, for some reason he had totally been obsessed with the cellar, but what if this was all a distraction? He ran upstairs and checked every drawer, closet, and wardrobe. Satisfied, he went back into the cellar with the piece of wood. Xander touched the cement wall of the cellar and began rubbing the wood against it as fast and as hard as he could. After about a minute, a tiny flame sparked to life on the wooden board. Xander used the small amount of light to look around the cellar. Xander walked all around and, with disdain, realized the cellar was empty. That meant that the object of value must be hidden in the house. Once again, Xander ran into the wooden house, searching wardrobes more carefully. Xander searched for a long time until he found what he was looking for. There was a false panel in one of the wardrobes and, without much hesitation, Xander kicked a hole in it and found the item of value. It was the exact same fake ruby that he stole from the Shia house.

Xander showed Jo the ruby and she smiled wide.

"A bit fitting isn't it?" She said, "The same thing that brought you here in the first place."

Xander couldn't help but chuckle, "I think I'm going to put it on a necklace." He said, only half-joking.

"If you want, you can take it to Byrog. He'll make you a fine necklace. Actually I think it's time you got your Shadow equipment too." Jo said pointing to a door on the opposite side of the courtyard.

"Yeah I'll do that. Thanks.". Xander said. Xander looked back at Jo as he walked away, he had never realized how pretty she was until now. Her fierce blue eyes and blonde hair was almost irresistible. Xander shook his head and made his way to Byrog's workshop.

Xander walked into a chamber filled with anvils and everything a forge master could ever need. When Xander saw a large man with a beard, somehow he knew it was Byrog.

"Um. Mister Byrog?" Xander asked, not knowing what to expect.

"Ah! What can I do for you me boy?" Byrog seemed incredibly happy.

"Can you make me a necklace for this ruby and get Shadow equipment?"

"Why I'd be happy to!" Byrog said with a huge smile, "Give me a day or two."

"Only a day?"

"Or two."

"Okay. See you later then."

"Goodbye Kid!" Byrog said, waving his arm.

What a nice guy, Xander thought. Xander went back to his room to go to sleep. It had been a long, hard day and he could use a little more rest tonight. Xander flopped onto his bed and thought about the crazy world he was brought into in a heartbeat. He smiled, he was beginning to like this.