Chapter 5. It Hit Me

The gut wrenching, hair raising sound was the first thing to hit me. If you have ever heard a baseball bat break from it's owners' powerful swing or if you have heard every errie tree branch snap as a tree falls during a violent thurderstorm ,then you know the sound I heard.

   As I slowly opened my eye's to assess the damage done, I was met with a darkness that would make Lucifer himself beg for a nightlight. I blink a couple of times so my eyes can adjust. When my eyesight focuses just right, I see a blur out the corner of my eye, but I forgot all about that when I began to focus more on the disfigured lump lying next to a broken tree.

   I slowly stalk forward towards the lump to find the twin wolf that lunged at me...

   "But how could this be", I asked to myself.
   "See I told you he loved-" .....
    "Shut up!!" I scream at my wolf. "I've had enough of your nagging and hopeless assumptions", I say to my wolf.

    Even though I wanted to enjoy the happiness that we could really feel, I just knew the outcome couldn't possibly benefit the pack. For as long as I can remember, the elders have always told me that the packs needs come before my own. And with these reoccurring rogue attacks, I know I have to push away personal bliss for the greater good.

While in mid-thought, my Beta Janelle and others came running up to me with faces of sorrow.

"Where the HELL were you Janelle?!", I screamed.

"I'm sorry Alpha",she said bowing her head in respect, "We caught scent of a unidentifiable presence on our lands".

"And what proof do you have of this "presence" Janelle?"I asked knowing fully what she was talking about.

"Well Alpha, to be completely honest....we don't have any hardcore proof", she said.

"Exactly so while I was fighting for your asses you were -"....

       "Well we did find ONE thing",she interjected.

            "Well...let me see it".

With that, Janelle turned around and retrieved this piece of fabric.

Even before Jenelle put the fabric in my hands, I smelt the most intoxicating scent I've ever smelt. I could just feel my eyes going black just from the smell. My wolf was losing it on the inside of me and I could no longer contain it anymore.

  "I WANT MY MATE", my wolf and I screamed.

    With that, I shifted into my wolf. The humid air was heavy on my fur but that didn't stop my intensifying desire to satisfy my deepest wants.

  "Sasha?", Janelle called.

   But it was too late. Before she or the others could even shift, I ran into the woods and away from the pack house. I have never felt so alive in my life. Feeling the moist earth underneath my paws was almost as riveting as taking a long dip in the pond after a long tense day during the long summer hours. Running this fast and dodging the tall trees with such precision alerted me to something I should not have let happen.

  My wolf was in full control.

"My mate, my MATE",she chanted.

   Her chants were exactly what I needed to realize what a big mistake we were making.

"Gazelle...stop you're making a big mistake."

"My mate..I need my mate",she whined.

"I know...I do to...Even though we haven't met, I feel the connection we have and staying away is killing me, but for right now, we have a pack to look after. Think of the others."

  With that, she stopped running completely.