Cancer

Five years. It had been five years since the day Mulder and Scully first shook hands.
And now, Mulder didn't leave her bedside. She had been diagnosed with terminal cancer just a few months ago, and Mulder got to sit back and watch the only person he cared about deteriorate infront of him. He knew she probably wouldn't make it. He knew it was only a matter of days before her eyes fluttered shut and the long beep...beep...beep...of the monitor would ring out into the room. He knew that. But he also knew Scully was a fighter, and she was prepared to fight until the end.

'Mulder? Is that you?' Scully's voice rung through the silent room, and Mulder found himself wishing he had slept just once within the past week. 'Oh, it's me Scully. Can I do anything for you?' He smiled. Genuinely. For the first time in a while. 'No, thank you. How's the case going though?'

Shit.

Mulder was spending so much time with Scully, he almost abandoned the case they were assigned. Some little girl went missing from her grandmother's house and her cousin was left in a coma. Nobody thought anything of it until the girl woke up screaming about an alien abduction. Usually, Mulder would have loved a case like this, but Scully's imminent death deterred him from work for the first time in years.
Scully seemed to realise that he hadn't worked at all, and her smile fell.

'You have been working on it haven't you Mulder?' Mulder was silent.

'Mulder, I'm fine. Don't waste your time so hung up on me that you don't do your job properly. You'll be fired one day, you know.' She sounded so concerned, and for a moment he felt bad. Then again, he wanted to see Scully, so all 'feeling bad' was felt aside.

*******************
Three weeks later

Scully was getting better.

That's the thought that ran through Mulder's head that cold November morning. He made sure his tie was straight, before throwing himself into his car and speeding to work.

One thing that hadn't change these past five years was how cold the basement was. His office looked the same though. The poster that told everyone that he wanted to believe, the mysterious photos he'd collected over the years still pinned to the wall, the age old documents and his dusty ass computer which he couldn't afford to replace. All still there after all this time.
It made Mulder smile. Even though this place made him think of Scully.
Thinking of Scully, she was getting better, and the doctors were sure that she would soon make a full recovery. Even Scully believed, and that's what soothed Mulder the most. It soothed him so much that he was able to start working again. He scanned his desk for the document he had needed and began to read.

Name: Allison Taylor
Age: 10 years
D.O.B: 9 / 4 / 1984

Broken neck, dislocated shoulder, neurological damage to brain.

SIGNED: E. MORRISSEY
__________________________

Mulder wondered for a moment why this was considered an X-File. Seemed pretty obvious that a silly little girl climbed onto a roof and fell. But her cousin's file seemed to be a little more interesting.

Name: Maria Taylor
Age: 6
D.O.B: 21 / 3 / 1980

Mysterious dissappearence under suspicious circumstances. No report has been made, however samples of M. Taylor's  blood has been found beside to the unconscious body of her cousin. We believe her cousin's injury and Maria's disappearance may be connected.'

And that was when Mulder realised why this was an x file.