CHAPTER 1: SEVEN CROWS A SECRET, NEVER TO BE TOLD (DAILY LIFE)

The ten-year-old Horiuchi giggled as they walked away from the movie theater, holding the hand of a tall and lanky teen with brown hair. "Oh, come on! Captain Marvel totally could have beaten Thanos if he didn't use the Power Stone on her." Complained the teen. "Scarlet Witch could have beaten him if he hadn't done that ship laser thing." The younger Horiuchi retorted. Yasari snorted, letting go of Horiuchi's hand to ruffle his hair. "Come on, little bro. Let's get some ice cream." Yasari said. "Really?" Horiuchi's eyes sparkled. "Yeah."  Yasari said. "You sat through that movie with nothing, you must be pretty-"

The screech of a car attracted the attention of the boys, along with a long arm that drew out a pistol, directly towards the young Horiuchi, who had frozen in fear.

And then it happened. Four shots rang out, along with a yell of, "HORIUCHI!" Then...the noise of bullets sinking into flesh, and the roar of the car's engine as it drove off. Horiuchi looked stunned, at himself, no wounds visible.

A raspy cough broke the silence, along with Horiuchi's scream as Yasari lay, barely a foot away, four bullets through his chest. "Yasari! No, no, no, no!" He rushed over to his brother, little hands trying to stop the bleeding. "It's...okay." Yasari had coughed out. "No! Yasari, stay, please!"

But the pleas of a desperate ten year old were heard by nothing, as the older brother reached up with a finger and tapped the necklace on his shirt. "Heh...I gave you that for your birthday...nostalgia's kicking in, damnit." Horiuchi had never heard Yasari swear, and if he did, he almost immediately apologized. "Come on, it's okay, please stay."

"Yasari, please." The boy began to sob, tears flowing from his green eyes. Yasari smiled, his final smile. "I love you, Horiuchi. I'm sorry I have to go like...this..." And then he slumped backward, hand going from his little brother down to his own chest, as he exhaled his last breath.

Horiuchi immediately sat up, breathing heavily. The clock read 7:43. He groaned, throwing off the covers as he grabbed a shirt, pants, underwear, and socks for a shower. He caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror, brushing a hand over the necklace on his bare torso, before hopping in the shower.

It's been years. 9 years. Why can't they go away? Horiuchi thought, arms braced against the shower as he let the water run down his body, hair sticking to his face.

Once he had left the shower and was pulling on a shirt, a knock on his door interrupted him. He answered it to see Rano there.

"Oh, hey."

"Hey. Didn't think you were up yet. Just came to get ya for breakfast." Rano said.

"Alright, I'll be there." Horiuchi said, scooping up his coat and putting it on. "Let's go, then."

The two walked down the hall, before heading to the cafeteria. Most of the students were already there.

"Morning." Said Vixen, waving to them. Horiuchi waved back, sitting down next to Ouchi.

"Emily and Chino have been making breakfast for us since 6:30. I offered to help, but they said they've got it."

"And we do." Came Chino's voice from the kitchen as he and Emily rolled out a cart filled with different breakfast foods. Pancakes, sausages, bacon, eggs, cinnamon rolls, syrup. Chino passed down the plates as Emily took a seat next to Horiuchi as he grabbed a pancake and some eggs, along with a cinnamon roll.

"I made those myself." She said gleefully as he took a bite.

"Oh my god, this is amazing. They don't call you the Ultimate Baker for nothing." Horiuchi said around a mouthful.

"Aww, that's sweet. I own a bakery with my pops, and everything we make there is made by me."
Emily said.

"Seriously? What bakery?"