CHAPTER 5: THE MADNESS OF TRUE DESPAIR (DAILY LIFE)

Horiuchi yawned, sitting up and stretching as the morning announcement played. He looked down to see Rano hugging his waist as per usual. He smiled gently grabbing the other boy's hands and pulling them away. The movement made the boy make a noise, and he opened his eyes. He yawned as well, sitting up.

"Morning announcement just played." Horiuchi said as Rano rubbed the sleep from his eyes.

"You okay? You look tired." Rano asked.

"It's nothing." Horiuchi said, shaking his head, but Rano grabbed his hand.

"It's not nothing. Tell me." Rano said concernedly.

Horiuchi sighed. He had to lie. He couldn't risk anything, even though it hurt him to do so.

"I had a nightmare last night. About my brother." Horiuchi said.

Rano took his hand as he sat up, folding his legs into a criss-cross as he rubbed Horiuchi's hand with his thumb. "You could have woken me up for that. I could've helped."

"No, I didn't wanna make you lose sleep. Besides, I've dealt with it alone before." Horiuchi said.

"That makes it worse." Rano said, gently pulling Horiuchi into a kiss.

Horiuchi smiled. "Come on. Let's get going." He stood up, before moving over and pulling on a shirt, socks, and shoes, along with his jacket. "They're waiting."

Rano nodded, and the two quickly headed down to the dining hall.

"Hey." Emily said, waving to them as they walked in.

"Hi." Rano waved back as they sat down. Chino and Emily came out, carrying the breakfast cart. Those four, along with Ikari, who had now resumed wearing her hockey helmet and had set it on the seat next to her, set the table, and they all began eating.

"Where's Jen?" Ouchi asked, noticing the seat where Jennifer usually sat.

"I'm here." Said a soft voice behind everyone. Jennifer walked into the hall as Horiuchi, Rano, Emily, and Ikari turned around to see her.

Horiuchi couldn't help but notice that her eyes were red and puffy and some of her dreads were undone.

Nobody seemed to talk as they all ate. Once everyone had finished, Chino and Emily collected the plates, and several people began to head to their rooms. However, a voice broke the silence.

"Ahem!"

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Ide asked, looking at Monokuma, who was now standing in the doorway holding a small metal crate.

"I'm here to introduce your new motive!" Monokuma replied, walking up to the table and setting down the crate.

"Can't you just leave us alone?" Jennifer asked quietly.

"I'm sorry, dreads, but I've gotta keep this game moving. You're still upset about your little boyfriend, aren't ya? Well, you're lucky I'm going soft on you for this motive." Monokuma said, before opening the case.

What looked to be metal bracelets lay there, each of them standing beside a small nameplate.

"What are these?" Kenjari asked.

"They're NG bracelets! I thought I'd bring something back from another game!" Monokuma said.

"Another game?" Rano asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You mean the Future Foundation killing game." Horiuchi said.

"Yup! In that game, everyone could not perform a specific action when the bracelets were on. If they did..." Monokuma began to fake choke and grasp at his throat. "They were poisoned and died."