Chapter 1: Choices and Destiny

CHAPTER ONE: CHOICES AND DESTINY

"You need to make up your mind now, Flare." Dad argued as he followed me into the spacious hallway to my room. I can't help but get annoyed as I saw a number of guards outside my room, guarding whatever was left to be guarded.

"Dad, I'm only seventeen. You can't pressure me in deciding what I'm going to be in the future." I opened the door to my room, pushing away the guard that was blocking it. Not on purpose but because of annoyance. Just before I could shut the door, dad's hand gripped my arm so gently. His rough and rigid palms feel like sandpaper against my soft, pale arm.

"Flare, you are the princess, the heir to the throne. You need to act like one because one day you are going to rule this country." He said almost in a whisper but his tone was almost accusing like he's blackmailing a criminal. "And I am still the king around here. How can I get this whole country to follow me when my own daughter doesn't?"

I rolled my eyes. Maybe that's because you're too kind and too soft hearted.

"Flare Eira Onix, do you understand?" I stood there, looking at him the way I did when I was a little child scolded by her father because of disobedience. I softened my maroon day dress and nodded.

"Yes, your majesty." I curtsied, biting my tongue from any other word I could say to disobey him.

"You need to think for yourself. Remember, it's not a choice its destiny. Your destiny." With that, King Trinent turned his back to me. For me, he is more like a king than a father... but I guess that's the way it should be.

I'm a princess, soon to be a queen. That's my destiny.

I'd give anything just to change that.

As I locked my bedroom door shut, I heard the king giving orders to my guards not to let me out until tomorrow night. I sigh and dropped to my carpeted floors. Does it always have to be this way? Do I always have to be locked down in my bedroom?

Since I was born, this place has been my house- not my home. All the costumes, all the uncomfortable heavy jewelries and the ball gowns, the guards that watch my every move, the lonely spacious hallways, the book of 'Lady-like Manners for a Princess to Learn' that I've struggled to learn since I was twelve, the invasions, the maze like stairwells and many more. I grew up with them but I've never felt the sense of belongingness.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family and my loving maids and I am forever thankful that there is food on the table every meal of the day that is sufficient enough to bloat my stomach... but some things here is extravagant and merely or the purpose of vanity.

I don't belong here.

I want a normal life. A life where there are no cameras and eyes always follow you around like your whole life was a reality show for people to watch just to distract them from the painful reality that our country is facing.

I look like I belong here but my heart is settled somewhere. Somewhere I could call home.