| Chapter 5 |

(Cat above is Swiftstar)

Berrypaw's mind was spinning. Swiftstar's words echoed in her ears. Why us, StarClan?

Hazelwing broke into her thoughts. "Berrypaw, stop hibernating! Creampaw's.." her mew faltered.

Berrypaw glanced up, her gaze blurred. Cherrypaw and Oakpaw's nests were empty. Have I slept in that bad?

"Come on, Berrypaw." Hazelwing sighed. "I don't-"

"OK, OK!" Berrypaw shot from the den, wheeling round to dash into the medicine clearing. Snow sloshed around her paws as she paused to gasp in spurts of air.

Coffeenose and Sootpelt leaned over Creampaw, who lay on her side in a cozy nest under a overhang of brambles that drooped from the stone walls. Oakpaw had his muzzle on the moss-covered bracken that edged the nest, his nose in Creampaw's fur. Cherrypaw was pressed against Sootpelt, het nose in his shoulder.

Berrypaw's heart grew hollow as she realised the den stunk of death. Creampaw.. a few unused leaves lay at Coffeenose's paws as he bowed his head.

Petalnose padded in, with her brother, Rainwing, supporting her. Grief split the air, crackling like lightning in greenleaf. Rainwing pressed his flank against Petalnose's, letting her bury her nose in Creampaw's fur.

Tawnystar padded in. Her fur was sleek, as usual, and though her eyes were clouded with sadness, her voice was clear. "I ask my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has learned the warrior code and has given up her life in service of her Clan. Let StarClan receive her as a warrior." She paused, glancing over at Petalnose, who nodded. "She will be known as Creamberry, so that every cat knows what took her away."

Oakpaw gave a soft wail of grief. Coffenose stepped up, placing a juniper berry on Creamberry's fur, as well as a petal. "May she hunt with StarClan."

The stuffy air cleared as the den emptied. Welcome to StarClan, Creamberry, Berrypaw raised her nose to the sky.

|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|*|

It had been an hour since Creamberry's death. More snow had fallen, leaving lucky white-pelted cats the only Clan members able to catch more than a morsel.

Peonykit was now Peonypaw, apprenticed to Petalnose. 

The prophecy still rang in Berrypaw's ears.

Everything had changed.

"Cherrypaw."

Berrypaw called softly. There was a rustle of the leaves Cherrypaw had collected during leaf-fall, then Cherrypaw looked out of behind the warriors den. "What?"

"Can I come in? Eelspark says you made it cozy!"

"Sure." Cherrypaw shuffled back to let Berrypaw squeeze through the lichen drapes. Swooping brambles protected the den from snow or rain. At the end of the tunnel was a pile of leaves, at their foot a pitful of water, a half-eaten mouse and a ragged nest.

"Nice!" Berrypaw meowed. Then she lowered her voice. "Go hunting, OK? Join as many hunting parties as you can. We need fresh-kill for the journey."

"We're actually going?" Cherrypaw's eyes widened. "OK! Eelspark's leading one, I'll tag along. Ask Sootpelt for travelling herbs- I told him!" She yowled, racing out.

Berrypaw snorted and headed to the medicine clearing. Sootpelt was there, mixing up something for Minnowkit, who had a thorn in his pad.

"Sootpelt! Traveling herbs." He nodded quickly, chewing up two pulps and handing them to Berrypaw. He then turned to Minnowkit.