Prologue

I was an orphan. When the flare took its toll on the world I was living inside of an orphanage. There was 8 of us in total. 1 boy and 7 girls. That boy, he was my best friend. Unlike all of the other girls who didn't seem to understand me, I knew that Minho would always be there for me. No matter what. We were in kindergarten when they came, Minho and I had both turned five back in April. It had started just like any other ordinary day, the sun burned down on the Earth, we were inside in the air-conditioning at school. Ever since there was sightings of flare-infected citizens in our town many parents had kept their children at home and the classrooms slowly began to empty. I remember before the flare, even though we were barely four years old, the whole orphanage would get ice-creams every Thursday night. Cloey the eldest of us all (15) had a part time job and she would always be happy to pay for us. But that all changed. The flare-infected now wandered the streets at night and it was no longer safe to even stroll down an alleyway during the day let-alone at night. Sometimes at night you could hear growling and gurgling sounds coming from the street below. I was thankful that Minho was always there to comfort me. We'd hold on tight to each other and share the same bunk on those scary nights. By some miracle none of the other kids in the orphanage had caught the flare and neither had the mistress, although we all thought she was already mad.

When Minho and I rushed home from school on that stinking hot afternoon our lives changed. We reached the apartment and climbed three flights of stairs as we always would, and knocked on the door so that someone would open it. It was Adelaide, our Mistress with her sour face on. She said nothing and we carried our bags to our shared bedroom.

Opening the door I was shocked at first. Men in green baggy one-pieces - 2 in total - stood in between mine and Minho's bunks. One had a small number written on his one-piece - 7. They looked ridiculous. "These are the ones, right," one man asked the other.
The other simply nodded. I dropped my bag. I was stunned. Who were these people? What were they doing here? Who are they looking for? What the heck are they wearing? Questions raced through my mind but before I could even contemplate the answers a hand was grabbing my arm and dragging me away. Cloey and Margaret had apparently been watching the entire time and they charged at the men.
"Where are you taking them, leave them alone?" Cloey screamed.
I kicked and wiggled as hard as I could. I could see Minho biting into the man's arm and yelling filthy words at him. "Andrea!" a muffled scream escaped Minho's mouth.
"I'm not going with you!" I shout at the man who still has a tight grip on my right shoulder. That's when I heard the bang of a gunshot and felt blood on my leg. Not my blood. But the man holding me. His grip loosened and he yelped in pain, a bullet now lodged in his hip. Cloey held the black metallic weapon, smoke pouring out of the barrel. What happened next was a blur. The man with the number seven on his one-piece had rushed to help the one with the bleeding hip. Blood oozed out staining the white tiles a crimson red. I felt weird, lightheaded almost. 'Seven' took out a pistol and shot Cloey, straight in the chest. She collapsed to the ground and shuddered in pain. Minho now free from the seven's grip screamed and kicked him in the back. Repeatedly.
"You are so difficult," Seven hissed at Minho.
He grabbed him and pushed a syringe into his arm. Minho went limp and his eyes rolled back in his head. I couldn't stop starting at Cloey. She was dead. This girl who I had lived with my entire life was dead. Because of these evil men. I spun on my heel and charged at them. Confusion crossed both of their faces but seven held out a palm and smacked me in the centre of my chest. I fell backwards, winded.
"Can you manage to get down the stairs?" I heard Seven ask. I didn't hear a response. Struggling for air, Seven grabbed both me and Minho and took us down the stairs to a waiting van. Why us? That was the last question that crossed my mind.

Note: Andrea later has her name changed to Marie.

A/N: Just wanted to say sorry if this is terrible. I'm literally just making it up as I go :)