Chapter Four

Chapter Four

Deanette swishes around in my lap. "Javier this doesn't look too good" she flips another paper from out of the manilla envelope. "Aw come on Deanette. You're the lawyer here so work your magic" I say. Me and Deanette had a little something-something going on 2 years ago when I was first drafted but now she's just my lawyer. We still flirt with each other and sometimes peck on the lips but that's about it. We're real tight and we be kicking it when we got time. "Let me remind that you that it's very hard for us black women that are lawyers. Babe from the look of these papers there's really nothing I can do except tell you that you have to weigh it out till the court date. By then you will have the final say so in whether you want to keep Michelle Miller or not. What do you think?" she asks. I turn my L.A. fitted to the side and push up my Armani sunglasses. "I'm feeling frustrated because I can't stand her. I don't know what to think" I say. "Where is Michelle Miller?" she asks. "I left her at the house with my personal chef Alhann" I say. "Are you busy tonight?" she takes one of my hands. "Naw why?" I ask. I thought Deanette being in her thirties would be a hard pill to swallow but I learned that Deanette's age is just a blindfold because she's active. When we were together she did some things that I ain't never seen a woman do... I was drawn in by her sex appeal to be honest. I don't let our flirts or nothing interfere when we need to get down to business. "Maybe we can go out tonight and have fun or you can come over my house and we can have fun there" she says. I lick my lips and smile. "That all sounds good so Imma let you choose. I ain't tryna get back home till later so we can chill till I gotta get back. How you liking that?" I ask. "I'm loving that actually. Come follow me to my house" she stands up and straightens her skirt. I look her up and down... damn! Some of these women my age don't got a bomb body like Deanette.

I watch her put the papers back in the manilla envelope in her bag. She turns around and looks at me. "Tomorrow I will call around just to make sure this is legitimate. Why are you still sitting there? Are you still coming over or have you changed your mind?" she asks. So far no fans or haters have approached me slash noticed me, thank God the manager didn't lie when he said the restaurant is low key. I stand up and move my fitted back to the front. "Out of curiousity I wanna know if you still seeing that African looking man" I say. Me and Deanette are tight but since football season has started like always we don't get to see much of each other. "Javier that was one date and we didn't get any further than that. He wasn't African either" she says. "He sure did look African with that purple ashy skin. Anyhow let's just get up out of here because tomorrow I gotta pack for an out of town game" I stretch my arms. "Jealous are we Javier?" she asks. I chuckle and look at her sideways. "Hell naw. Deanette you of all people should know about the flocks of women who throw their bras and panties at me every week. I was just asking because if you was seeing him or any other man then we would have to chill on how we are towards each other. You know how we do" I say. She nodds her head. "Javier we do some crazy things all the time even though we're not an item. I do understand what you are saying but also you of all people should know that I prefer not to double dip. Seriously though what's the matter?" she asks. Deanette has a way of sensing when something is bothering me or when I'm deep thinking. "Oh I'm straight. It's just the fact that my boy is dead and left me with his responsibility that's making me upset" I say. "Babe don't worry about it. How hard can it be taking care of a 6 year old? If you were in the same position as your friend would you have rather her go to a foster home?" she wraps her arms around my waist. "If I knew Don wouldn't be a good role model then yeah. I rather someone who would care for her more than me take care of her" I say. "You don't know that. Just give it some time babe and if you put forth the effort and it's still not working out then your first thought is better. Every child deserves love" she kisses my cheek. "Maybe you're right" I say. "You think?" she smiles. "It's gonna be hell with that child" I huff. "Stop huffing and suck it up Mr. Jock" she grabs my butt. "Aw'ight aw'ight. Let's get out of here" I say.