o n e

Monday June 1

m e r e d i t h

"Here's your uniform and name tag, you clock in everyday at the same time, and clock out. Three infractions of any kind, and your employment will be terminated. Got that?" The head manager of the restaurant, Mr. Gregory, yelled at us. Us being me and two other guys I didn't know.

He said a few more things to us before walking away. We all grabbed a tray and notepad.

"Hey, Meredith. Is that your name? Yeah just because your daddy owns this place doesn't mean you can fuck around. I pulled a lot of strings to get this job and I don't want you messing it up." The guy beside me turned to me and said.

I looked at his name tag, it said Jack. I looked up at him and recognized him, he was in my graduating class. He was a star basketball player too. He's hot, and his jawline game is strong but he's not my type. He seems like a douche.

The other one was named Cameron, he also was in my graduating class. He's nice and all but we've never had a formal conversation. Maybe we can be friends. He seems more approachable than Jack.

"Look, I'm only here because I have to. It's not like I need the money anyways." I scoffed at him.

"Oh my god, you think everything is handed to you on a silver platter don't you? Unlike you, I actually need this job." He shouted at me and stormed off into the dining room. Leaving Cameron and I behind.

"What's up his ass?" I asked blowing another bubble with my gum.

"Oh nothing, he's just being dramatic." Cameron said as we made our way out to the dining room.

When we got out there, I saw Jack at a table, filled with all of my friends. Oh hell no. I rushed over there and pushed him out of the way.

"Oh my god. Meredith, you work here now?" My friend Lacey asked as I flattened out my white apron.

"Yeah, my dad thinks it'll teach me a lesson or something." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh wow, you're even more of a princess than I thought you were. I'm out." Jack said and walked over to another table.

"He's hot." Becca piped in.

"He's kind of a dick," I said opening up the notepad. "So, what do you want to drink?"

"We'll all have Iced Tea." Lacey said for everyone.

"Alright, I'll be back with those." I said turning around and walking back to the kitchen.

It's only been five minutes and I hate this more than buying shoes that aren't on sale.

-

"Hey Meredith wanna hit the pool with me after our shift ends?" Cameron said placing dirty dishes next to the sink. Our shift ends in ten minutes.

"Um, sure. Let me just finish up these orders. I'll meet you there okay." He smiled as I went back in to the dining room.

Out of all of us, Jack seemed to be the one everyone liked. He was always on top of everything. He has this personality, that everyone likes. So he's just naturally good at it I suppose.

Me on the other hand, am not doing so hot with the people. I mean I haven't spilled anything, but people just don't like me. One because they most likely know me and just make fun of me. Two, Jack comes around and steals all my costumers. So today, I've served around 3 tables myself. Without him ruining it.

Cameron was doing good too. He grabbed the attention of most of the teenage girls who came in.

I finished up all my other orders and went to clock out.

But to my excitement, so was Jack.

Jokes.

"Hey princess." He smirked at me.

"Don't call me that." I said swiping my card.

"But you are one aren't you?" What an ass.

"What's it to you?" I smirked.

"Oh nothing, see you tomorrow. Princess." He said and walked away. I can't stand him one bit. It's been one day. One.

Once I put all my stuff away, I went to my locker and grabbed my bathing suit and a towel. I changed and went out to the pool.

"Hello, Meredith. Always nice to see you." The lifeguard Kyle, said. I smiled and nodded and went over to my usual spot.

Ever since I was 14, this has been my 'spot.' and no one ever dared to take it.

I sat down in the chair and put my sunglasses on.

A few minutes later I spotted Cameron walking out of the clubhouse.

"CAMERON! OVER HERE!" I shouted. He saw me and smiled.

"Hey there Mer." He laughed once he realized it rhymed. His laugh was amazing might I add.

"Cam." I said and he sat in the chair next to me.

"Okay, I wanna know. Why on earth do you work here if you dad owns the whole thing?" He asked putting his sunglasses on the top of his head.

"Well, I may have maxed out my credit card, for the third time. So this is my punishment. I have to work and make my own money. So, now I work here. For the whole summer," I sighed. "What about you?"

"To be honest I have no idea how I got this job. My mom came home one day, and announced that I work here now." I laughed. He was really nice, I think we'll get along very well.

Soon enough I saw Jack walking out of the clubhouse, shirtless and wearing rayban sunglasses. Something I'm a sucker for, big time.

Stop it Mer, he's a jerk.

"So, what's up with him. Anyways. He was such a dick to me all day." I said reverting my attention back to Cameron.

"If you really want to know, he was in a relationship for the last two years of high school. But right before graduation, she dumped him and he was beyond pissed off. So ever since then, he's been a little more gaurded. Once he feels more comfortable, I'm sure he'll warm up to you. I mean, I met you this morning and you seem pretty rad. Another thing I wanna know about you is why so many people call you a bitch, rich white girl, princess and so on. Because you don't seem like any of those things to me."

"Well, everyone always assumes because my dad is "rich" that I'm his stereotypical spoiled brat daughter, I mean I can get what I want with the snap of a finger. But I never said I liked it. I mean yeah it's fun the odd time, because I can go out and buy anything I want. But all throughout high school I was teased because of how I dressed. I dressed like a normal teenage girl who wears jeans and t shirts, and not frilly pink skirts and white cardigans like they show in movies and tv shows. So, in the final year of high school I guess I just turned into one of those bitchy rich girls because I couldn't do anything else, I couldn't be myself." Well, I just poured out my feelings to someone I met eight hours ago.

Okay cool.

"Wow, that's. I don't even know what to say." He stuttered out. I laughed.

"It's fine, I usually don't tell people this. So consider yourself lucky." I nudged his arm.

"Alright, so for now let's just enjoy the pool." He said and laid back a little.

First day of my first job, and I've made one friend and one enemy.

Only two more months to go.