010 , death by a thousand cuts

━━ 010

━━ 010. devil's daughter
death by a thousand cuts. . . ❜
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

BLOOD SEEPED THROUGH EVERY LAYER of clothing covering her pale skin, the wounds still yet to heal as the glass shards remained etched into her skin like permanent scars.

She walked with a limp, her right leg still damaged from the impact of the glass being thrown against her. A scowl was twisted onto her face as she walked, the gun tucked into her waist-band now digging uncomfortably into her side.

How was it possible? She wondered. From what she had been told, the girl possessed no power at the moment. She was a borderline human. But what happened ... that was not anything mortal.

The way her eyes shone with the brightest of fires, the way everything around her floated as if hanging by threads of a puppet. The power she could smell radiating off her as she stared murderously back at her, her skin turning as red as her hair. Eris Walker was no mortal even without her abilities. It wasn't possible. A being that possesses that much power can't simply be put out like the flame of a candle.

She understood that now.

***

The circle was quiet, no one daring to speak up as they kept their heads down, and avoided eye contact, in hope they wouldn't be called on. No one wanted to speak during their small, group meetings.

Eris tapped her foot anxiously on the tiled floor beneath her socks, her bright hair covering her face like the curtain of a stage. A large cut rested above her eyebrow, deep enough that she was sure it would scar. After her encounter with Kate Argent, she was even more skeptical of her surroundings than before; wondering who was going to come visit her in attempts to kill her next.

"Eris? What about you?" Marin Morrell asked as she sat across from the girl, her hands folded in her lap as she stared, a strange look in her eye as she watched her.

The red headed girl snapped her head up, her eyes darting across the room before falling on the woman seated before her. "What?" She said softly, merely a whisper.

"I asked you what fear means to you," Morell said, almost bitterly.

Her emerald eyes glanced around the room, feeling the eyes of everyone circled beside her watching her carefully—as if they knew that question in particular was aimed just for her. "Can't you ask someone else? I'm sure Beth would love to explain it to you," Eris replied back cuttingly, her eyes shifting to look at the blonde with matted hair that had been shaking in her seat, her fingers in her mouth as she bit at her nails.