Chapter Three- Insecure

Since it was the first day of boarding school and the first time I have ever slept somewhere other than home, I woke up quite early in the morning.
It was three in the morning when I checked my digital watch and decided to go and take a bath.
I took my sponge bag which had all the essentials. I wasn't surprised when I saw a few people in the showers and I was glad because people were around not that I'm afraid of ghost, ghouls, witches, zombies and the other things that come out at this time of the day. I took my bath, brushed my teeth and went back to my dorm.

Now we hadn't received our uniforms yet from the school so as freshmen we were supposed to wear white shirts ( long or short sleeves ) and a pair of khaki ( shorts or trousers ). So I dug into my suitcase, picked up my white shirt (short sleeves) and a pair of khaki shorts and ironed them since I knew we were going to have to do chores in the hall since we were freshers I only wore my khaki shorts, a singlet and a blue t-shirt over it. Soon I realized an hour had passed and knowing that the siren will go soon for us to start our chores, I packed some books, stationary and my dining tools I then lied on my bed and wondered what chores I would get to do and I was so praying and hoping that I wouldn't have to work in the washroom. As I was deep in thought Gerald and Ethan came in from the bathroom and decided to dress up. Soon afterwards the siren went and we all had to stand infront of our hall for our hall captains to assign us our duties. Our files were formed according to our dorms. We were led in prayers before the distribution of the work began.

"I hope you all had a great night sleep." said the hall captain.

"Yes senior" we said in unison.

"Good" he said "I'm your main hall captain, Simon and he's my assistant Calvin." He said gesturing to the guy on his left. 

Then turning to those behind him. He pointed to the one on his right and said " this is Phil" then he pointed to the one in the middle "this is Shadrach" pointing to the last person who was on his left, "and family this is Joseph. They help us in assigning chores and inspecting them is that clear." He said with so much confidence and authority.

"Yes senior" we said, at the same time.

After that our chores were distributed and the chores we got were for the week meaning that next week our chores will be charged. Thankfully this week I got to sweep the first floor corridor with you know who, Thomas.

"So ready to get to work partner" he winked at me.

"We're not partners" I said rolling my eyes.

"Let's just get to work the earlier we start the faster we'll finish." I said moving to the left side of the corridor and he moved to the opposite.

After a few minutes we had reached the middle of the corridor and Thomas collected the rubbish. We asked Phil if he could inspect our work which he did, he told us we've done good and we can go empty the bin.

As Thomas and I descended the stairs to go empty the bin he started to talk again.

"So ready for the first day of class" he said grinning at me.

I sighed and said, "Yeah maybe."

"Well I hope we get to be in the same class for some classes."

As soon as he finished his sentence I was dead in my tracks. He emptied the bin and came up to me smiling like a kid who just got a bowl full of candy for Halloween.

"Why  don't you want to be in a class with me?"

"No it's nothing" I blurted out.

"Then....."

"Then nothing" I said going back to the dorm.

He followed me but said nothing. Maybe he was hurt and though I felt a bit sorry for him, I couldn't allow him to get close to me because then he'll know I'm insecure. That's why I shut everyone out.