Nothing Feels Better Than This

Perrie

It was Saturday morning, and I was off work, but I couldn't relax because Jade wasn't home. It wasn't even related to her job this time, because she talked to me about it first. I knew what she was doing, so I wasn't as worried as usual.

Now I just missed her. I was bored at home alone and I missed her laughter around the apartment, and how she was so playful all of the time.

She left out earlier to go and peek in on her guys, since her boss told her that someone's loyalty was in question. It had become her job to find them and check them, and she said she was just taking it slowly. So she just watches from a distance these days.

She finished up a little while ago and called me. We talked for a bit, and it put me at ease. I swear she talks to me like I'm the only thing that matters. And she listens.

After we talked for nearly an hour about nothing at all, she told me she was going to stop by the bar to look over her books and things. She wanted to make sure things were still all good with the bar.

I tried to be patient, but that's literally never been my thing, so I got dressed and jumped in my car, heading to the bar.

When I pulled up, I saw a black sedan with tinted windows out front. I figured maybe she had company, and started to turn around. Then I realized... there were two places she would never bring her work, and that's home and her bar.

Those are literally the only two places she's at peace, so I highly doubted anyone was inside with her, and if there was, something was wrong.

I turned back around and walked up to the door. I knocked, but didn't get an answer, so I looked around for her car to be sure. I saw it in the lot and took out my phone to call her.

"You looking for Jade?" I heard a deep voice, and turned to see the dark car with the tinted passenger window halfway down. "Her bike isn't here. I know where she is. Get in and I'll take you to her."

I tried not to show anything on my face, but Jade got rid of her bike months ago. Whoever this guy is, has no idea that I'm looking right at her car.

"Umm.. no thanks. I'll just call her." I said, raising my phone. He was quickly starting to make me nervous.

"Don't waste your time. She won't answer. She's busy. Get in. You can trust me, I'm one of her guys." He said.

"No, I'm alright. Thank you." I said, quickly dialing her number on my phone.

I couldn't see his face, but I saw smoke coming from the window. He looked like he was about to get out of his car, and I was preparing to run.

Thank god she picked up on the first ring. "Hey, baby. Is everything—"

"Jade! Are you in the bar?" I asked, heart pounding in my chest. I saw the driver's side door open.

"Yeah, what's—"

"Open the door, please! There's someone out here—"

I heard shuffling, and before I could finish, I heard locks and the door swung open. She stepped out with her hand gripping firmly on her gun as she snatched it from her waist.

The second she did, the car door slammed and the car screeched off. She pushed me inside behind her and looked out to see the car turn quickly down the next block.

"Who was that?" She asked, closing the door and locking it, tucking her gun back in her jeans. She turned to look at me and frowned. I could hardly breathe. "Tell me what just happened. What did they say to you?"