Misplace My Mind and Follow My Heart

Riko

I purposely wore the same dress I'd worn when Shota and I first kissed. It was one of the few things I actually felt sexy in. Despite my run earlier, I still felt like a whale, so I needed something that made me feel good. If no one else liked it, at least I knew he did. I threw on a little makeup and perfume and headed out the door to work. I hadn't heard a peep from the neighbor, so I guess he got the message.

It was a little odd though, only because in my experience, guys like him don't usually just take the hint and fuck off. They think it's a game and they just keep coming at you until things inevitably escalate into something more serious. Maybe Bruno scared him enough to stay away. Guys like that were the whole reason I trained Bruno, even if that was the first time I'd ever needed to use it. Of the commands, that was the second nicest one, so if he didn't get the message, I had more for him where that came from to make it clear.

It was when I was leaving for work or coming back that I was nervous. Those were the times I couldn't have Bruno with me. However, as long as I was close enough to my apartment, I could shout a command that would have him jumping and barking at the door enough to at least distract the guy for a moment so I could get away or defend myself. People always underestimate me because of my size. Only a few people knew I'd been forced for years to train in martial arts. My father hated only having a daughter, so he did the next best thing and treated me as a son instead.

When I got to work, Yuuji was already there, which was very unusual considering he always worked the later shift. He could read my confusion as I walked in. "They put out a curfew to all the bars and restaurants, so we're working the same shift, closing at 2." He said, almost cheerfully.

"You seem happy about it. You got a hot date or something after work?" I asked as I made my way around him to put my stuff down.

"Hmmm...I guess you could say that." He said with a smirk. Whatever. I really didn't want to know what he did in his off time; he was gross enough while at work. We got busy with our duties and there was no sign of the emo Yuuji from the night before. He was back to his old, disgusting self. He made it a point to "brush by" me every chance he got. It was never anything overt, just a shoulder brush or an arm, but he wasn't a big guy and there was more than enough room for him to move without having to touch me every time. Just enough to get under my skin all night.

Around 2100, just as the light finally faded completely from the sky, a familiar giant shape came through the door with a familiar skinny one behind it. I almost spilled the drink I was pouring, but caught myself at the last moment, blessedly saving face. I handed it to the patron who ordered it, grabbed the good whiskey, two glasses, and slowly made my way to the end of the bar where they sat down. My eyes never left him as I felt his gaze roaming up and down my body. I purposely put a little switch in my walk for him and saw, not only his eyes get a little wider, but I think Yamada's eyebrows shot straight up into his hairline.

I tried to hold back a laugh as I walked up to them, but Shota saw me look at his friend and promptly elbowed him. "What?" he said, playing innocent. I put the glasses down and tried to maintain a straight face as I poured. The look Shota was giving Yamada could have made Medusa proud with its lethalness.

"Good evening, Aizawa-san, Yamada-san. Welcome." I said, trying to sound professional.

"Sachamura-san, a delight to meet you again." Yamada said sweetly.

Shota leaned forward over the bar, indicating he wanted me to come closer, so I leaned over to him. He came in closer to my ear. "I recognize that dress. You look amazing, my Jasmine." He whispered, barely audible. It sent goosebumps racing across my skin. I think all the warmth in my body went instantly to my cheeks as I felt them heat up at him saying my name like that. He sat back on his stool and I saw the small smirk on his face and knew he was getting me back for that little walk I just did.