Chapter Two: Following the Sky

Words would not come. Jessy's mind was whirling. It couldn't be Firestar. Firestar was dead. Bramblestar told her about the great leader, how he was once a kittypet like her and he rose to become the greatest leader of ThunderClan and save all the Clans  multiple times.

And he's here. Right in front of me.

Firestar watched her for a moment as if waiting for a response, then continued when she didn't.

"I have watched you since you left ThunderClan. I see much of myself in you, Jessy. You have a warrior's spirit."

He paused again. Jessy opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

"You have a great destiny ahead of you. I plan to guide you along the right path and get you out of. . . This."

Jessy watched, embarrassed, as Firestar eyed the rotten floors and waterstained walls of her den.

"A friend of mine, Skywatcher, has agreed to meet you and see if you are worthy to complete the journey to SkyClan, which is the first step on your journey to find your destiny."

SKYClan?

Jessy sat down abruptly as another cat shimmered into view: a large gray tom with blue eyes. He eyed her critically.

"This one, Firestar? She seems. . . Terrified."

"Only because we got her off guard. This is her first StarClan visit."

"Really?" Skywatcher's voice dripped with scorn. "After such a passionate prayer, you'd think she would expect us to come. Mousebrain."

The contempt in his voice snapped Jessy into speaking.

"I didn't know what to expect." She snapped. "I just threw away my life and my mate for the sake of the Clans, and have been living in this badger-hole of a den for half a moon! I was clinging to any mouse-whisker of hope that I had left, which just happened to be you! And you're over here asking how I didn't expect mystical glowing cats to appear in front of me?"

Skywatcher stared, while Firestar chuckled, but Jessy wasn't finished.

"As far as I know, seeing StarClan cats isn't a normal occurence among common warriors, much less former kittypets! So yeah, I was a little shocked! However, just because I'm not some almighty StarClan warrior like you or a Clan warrior, that doesn't mean I can't claw your fur off if you call me mousebrain again!"

She finished, thrusting her muzzle into his with bared teeth, all of her frustration and fear fueling her. Skywatcher stared wide-eyed at her for a few seconds, then he stepped back, shaking. For a moment Jessy thought he was having some weird spasm before she realized he was laughing.

"This one has spunk! You sure can pick them, huh, Firestar?" He meowed.

Skywatcher finally stopped laughing, and looked at Jessy fondly.

"SkyClan will be lucky to have you, Jessy."

He faded, leaving only Firestar. Jessy stared for a moment, then turned to Firestar.

"So. . . What are we waiting for?" Jessy demanded, her paws starting to tingle again.

Firestar purred,

"In time. Eat that mouse first, you'll need strength."

Jessy scowled at the mouse impatiently.

"I don't need it! I feel strong enough."

Firestar looked back sternly.

"You must eat. You are feeding more than you."

Jessy froze.

"What are you talking about?"

Firestar flicked his ears, surprised.

"You don't know?"

Jessy shook her head, though her heart was starting to pound with hope and excitement.

"Jessy, you are expecting kits."

Kits. Bramblestar's kits. Jessy thought she would explode with happiness.

"I'm. . . I'm expecting kits. I'm expecting kits!"

Firestar nodded, his eyes glowing.

"You must eat."

Jessy happily gobbled down the mouse without another word, imagining it nourishing the little bodies growing inside her.

I'm going to have our kits, Bramblestar! They are going to be perfect and beautiful and handsome and. . .

She looked at Firestar solemnly.

"Bramblestar can't know, can he?"

Firestar shook his head sadly.

"You and these kits have a path that leads away from the lake. At least for now, he cannot know."

Jessy dipped her head, her enthusiasm dampened by grief. Yet, she found comfort in knowing that wherever she ended up from now on, she would have living pieces of Bramblestar walking beside her through life.

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️

Ending is a little choppy lol sorry