Part 3

Over the next two weeks, Maya's pain continued to get better which was both good and bad.

It was good because it meant she was feeling better, but she wasn't taking pain killers anymore, meaning what little sleep she had been getting had disappeared, and she was struggling.

Her feeling better meant she was also getting more frustrated by the things she couldn't do which, in her eyes, was a lot. She couldn't really stay home alone which meant that someone was usually coming over to stay with her while Carina was at work.

Today, however, Carina had to work, Maya's friends were all on shift, and Carina's friends were all busy. Carina had been talking about it to Vic when she was over a few days ago, and Vic had suggested Maya come to the station.

The blonde really didn't like the idea, but she knew if she didn't, Carina was going to take off work, so she pretended it was a good idea, and that she was excited about it. There would be someone on desk all day, and Carina only had to work from 9 am to 7 pm because today was her day to just see patients for exams.

Carina had reluctantly agreed, knowing Maya was going stir crazy. Maya was excited to get to go out of the house, but that morning, as Carina drove her to the station, she was feeling nervous. She had really only seen Travis, Vic, and Andy since her injury. She didn't really want anyone to see her like this because it was embarrassing. She couldn't do most things for herself, and for her, her image of being strong was important because she needed them to respect her as a leader.

Carina had made a large batch of pastina soup the day before for the entire shift so Maya could eat with them without feeling weird, something the blonde greatly appreciated.

"I packed stuff for smoothies for you too," Carina said, pulling Maya out of her head, "Vic said she was going to be on desk today, so she'll be there to help you all day so just ask her to help you."

"Ok," Maya said, trying to smile but failing.

"What's wrong Bambina?" Carina asked, looking over at her girlfriend.

"I just...I feel like a little kid who has to have everything done for them," Maya sighed, "And normally, when I walk into work, I am the one who is in charge, who they all know the can turn to for help, and right now, I can't do much. It's stupid and I should just get over my pride, I know, but it's...It makes me feel weak, and I hate feeling like that."

"I know Bambina," Carina said, putting her hand on Maya's shoulder as they parked at the station, "I know this has been so so hard, but no one is going to think you are weak because you cannot use your arms right now. It was an accident, and you are getting better. And you can still do some things. You figured out how to get your own pants on which I'm still not totally sure how you did, but you did. And you are able to open doors again which is a big plus, and you managed to flip pancakes the other day even though you couldn't eat them yourself. You only have another three weeks until you get to go back and see Link and hopefully get at least the right cast reduced to below the elbow or off completely. You can do this Bambina."

Maya nodded, Carina brushing the tears out of her eyes.

"Ok," the blonde said, "You are going to be late if I don't get out."

"Come on," Carina said, helping her out of the car, "Let's go."

Maya took a deep breath as Carina grabbed her bag before they headed into the station. Downstairs was quiet, Maya knowing the team would all be upstairs eating breakfast. She had eaten at home with Carina this morning, but she was still going to go upstairs and hang out with them.

She and Carina walked up to the beanery, Maya taking a deep breath before pushing open the door with her hip.

"Hey," Vic said as they walked in, "Welcome back Cap."