Chapter 20

“Thank God you’re here,” Ava opened her front door in a towel.

      “Can you stop trying to seduce me? Please and thanks,” Savannah whispered in a fake bitchy tone. Ava laughed and they went up to her room. She dropped her towel, totally not shy about showing off her naked body.

         “AVA!” Savannah yelled but Ava ignored her, putting on sweats and a t-shirt.

          “In gym Shane talked to me about how he was crying during lunch!!!”

          “What?? Crying?? Why?”

         “So Shane came over to me and was like, ‘I heard Savannah’s your best friend’ and I’m like ‘creep how do you know that?’ and he’s like ‘Well your table is right next to mine and she was sitting with you and everyone is talking about how you guys are like buddy buddy’ and I’m like ‘okay, so what’s your question?’ and he’s like ‘since when are you guys friends? You hate each other. Give it a week, she’ll punch you, and you’ll go crying’ and I’m like ‘yeah, kind of like how you left the cafeteria today to go cry?’ and he’s like ‘how did you know I was crying?’ and I’m like what? Because I wasn’t serious, but I went with it and I’m like, ‘because I saw you.’” Ava said so fast that Savannah could barely keep up.

        “Did you find out why he was crying?”

      “Yeah. Apparently his friends made a really mean joke about you that like really offended him to the point that he left and cried. I don’t know what they said but he was like ‘I didn’t think anyone saw me so please don’t say anything. I’ll look so soft if people know I cried’ and he was like taking a step closer to me, grabbing my hand, trying to flirt with me so I don’t say anything to anyone, just like how he did with you when he accidentally told you a secret,” Ava said.

       “That’s his way of keeping everyone’s mouth shut! He flirts with them and makes them think he likes them so they feel compelled to not say anything!” Savannah said. “Anyway, so what did you do?”

       “I flirted back with him! This way he thinks I’m down and when I hang out with him alone I can get him to hook up with me! The plan is right on track!” Ava gave her a high five. She sat down at her vanity and plugged in a wet2dry straightener. Savannah tied up a section of Ava’s long brown hair and started straightening the bottom layer.

     “Weeeeeee are never, ever, ever, getting back together, weeeeeee,” Savannah’s phone started ringing. Ava picked it up to check who it was.

        “Oh my God, it’s Shane!” she exclaimed.

        “Don’t answer it!” Savannah said.

       “I know!” Ava laughed. They sang along to the ring tone so off key until finally it stopped ringing.

     “What is she doing that she’s not answering?” Shane wondered. He wanted to tell her about how at lunch he denied that she cut herself, because she didn’t even acknowledge him today. Not that he would’ve acknowledged her back, but still.

       He called her again. By the fifth ring he figured he wouldn’t answer, so he started thinking in his head on what to say in the message he was about to leave.

       “Hello?”

       “He-hey,” Shane was startled. “Sav?”

       “Nope! Ave!” Ava mimicked him.

       “Ava, what are you doing?”

     “I invited my cousin…Bob over and he and Savannah are a little busy,” Ava made up. Savannah had to refrain from laughing. Bob? Seriously? That’s the best Ava could do.