CHAPTER 4

“I don’t get how you don’t compete,” Katy said as we rode out across the paddocks a few minutes later. “What’s even the point of riding if you’re not going to shows?”

“I like riding,” I said, feeling defensive. “And I’m not good enough to compete much anyway.”

“Whatever,” Katy said dismissively. “You ride fine and your pony is amazing. If I had a pony like him, I’d be taking him out every weekend.”

“Yeah, well it’s not that easy. Even aside from how hard it is to get him on a float, Squib gets a bit mental at shows.”

“Does he do that running away thing on you?”

I nodded, and she looked thoughtful. “Let’s try him in a copper roller this afternoon, and a running martingale. That might help.”

I hesitated for a moment, then voiced my concerns. “But shouldn’t I just work on schooling him more instead of using gadgets to get him to behave?”

Katy shot me an amused look. “Has schooling worked so far?”

“Well…”

“Look, I’m not saying you should tie his head to his chest or put him in a double bridle or something. A copper roller’s a good bit for a pony like him, it works pretty much like a snaffle but he can’t hold onto it and run through your aids. And until you get him properly between your hand and leg, the martingale will help if he tries to throw his head up and run away from you. It doesn’t mean you can’t go back to milder gear later on when you’ve got more control, but not every pony is going to go perfectly in a loose-ring snaffle and cavesson noseband.”

“Yours all do,” I said, looking at the ponies we were riding. I couldn’t remember seeing her ride in anything other than a plain snaffle, on any of her ponies so far.

“Yeah, but they’re all either babies or super established. Well, other than Mr Plod over there, but he doesn’t have enough spunk to even try and run away or do anything bad.”

I gave Robin a sympathetic pat as he ambled along beside Puppet. “He’s a sweet pony,” I said in his defence.

“He’s fine, he’s just boring. I like to have to work a little bit, you know? I’ve got him entered in the Show Hunters this weekend, I reckon he’ll clean them up and then we can sell him to some uninspired kid who wants to canter slowly over eighty centimetre jumps for the rest of their life, and I won’t have to ride him ever again.”

“Poor Robin. Why’d you buy him if you hate him so much?”

“Mum bought him, because she felt sorry for him. Believe it or not, he was skinny when we got him. He was quiet so Mum figured if we put some food into him he might liven up enough to be worthwhile, but you could pump him full of oats and he’d still just plod along. I’ll show you. Let’s canter.”

She urged Puppet into a canter, and the young pony shot forward and threw his head around for a moment before settling into his stride. Robin walked placidly until I urged him to follow, then cantered ponderously up the hill behind the black pony.