Chapter 122 - "With you, dear sister"

Saturday, February 20th

It had gotten dark, and we sat around the campfire, tired but happy with the day. The boys and I had gone down to the river together and hunted some fish with our spears when we had come back to the camp.

Angry, Diego almost broke his spear in two pieces since he didn't have the patience required for this kind of activity, but in the end we managed to catch so many fish that it was enough for soup for all of us. Jake, who claimed he couldn't cook, made a very good fish soup for which he picked herbs in the nature around the camp.

While the soup was being prepared I had to go to rest in the tent. I was completely exhausted both emotionally and physically after today. Winston had kept me company and being able to lie with him in my arms eased my grief after we spread mom's ashes.

"Do you know what I think was amazing about this trail ride?" Diego asked while peeling a banana.

"No, what?" Luke asked curiously.

"It isn't all the cool things we've seen or experienced, it's how we did it together. We kind of... we needed this."

"Yes..." Charlie agreed. "Like, we hang out with each other on the ranch, but nature has brought us closer together somehow. After all the shit we've been thru, we needed this."

"However, it was cool when the young stallions came running towards us. Even if I didn't tell you back then how I was actually terrified!" Winston giggled. I smirked.

"Hah, we know!" Diego burst. "I have a hard time seeing you as scared actually, Winnie. You're always so brave, determined and confident otherwise."

"It's just that I cannot have full control from the horseback, over the situation I mean."

"Because you usually have one hundred percent control over everything, Winnie!" Luke mocked jokingly.

"You know what I mean!"

"We sure do!" I replied while pulling him into my arms, kissing his temple.

"Winnie...? Has Monty also given you a nickname? Oh, so sweet!" Charlotte looked questioningly at me, and I blushed.

"Um, well..."

"At first Monty didn't want to admit to us who Winston was." Diego replied for me.

"...So, he pretended Winston was a girl named Winnie!" Charlie filled in.

"And we can all agree how Winnie suits Winston! You're a tiny little Winnie!"

"A tiny little Winnie...? I'm taller than several of you!"

"Yet tiny!" Luke chuckled.

"When my sister and I were growing up, she used to call me Stud because she knew I loved horses back then, but only she knew I did." I looked at Jake in surprise.

"Stud? You never told us that."

"Well, I never found a reason for it!" he chuckled.

"Can you tell us a little about how you were when you were young?" Lucy asked.

"What do you want to know?"

"How were you at school?! Were you like Monty, a hot-tempered jock?" Diego laughed.

With a laugh Jake began telling how he didn't belong to the jocks but how he connected with the nerds in the library. This was because he wanted to read books about animals and they didn't tease him for it. He was also part of the school orchestra where he played guitar.

I loved hearing him talk about his and mom's childhood. How they used to sneak out at night to look at the stars and how they covered up for each other; like when mom backed Jake up when he had a secret girlfriend whose dad my grandpa hated.