Dinner with Draco

Draco awoke around a half hour later than Hermione. He stood up, and stretched, running his hand through his blonde locks. He walked towards the coffee table. Lying there was a copy of a book. "Alice in Wonderland". Draco remembered this book. He had read it countless times. He was quite aware it was a muggle book. He had found it lying on a street. The cover had caught his eye, so he took it, he slipped it under his coat. Draco could remember how scared he was that his father might find out he had it, he would only read it late at night, under candlelight. He smiled, it was one of the very few things that kept him mildy sane in his childhood years.

"Awake, are we?" Draco jumped as a voice came from behind him, he turned, and let out a sigh of relief, when he saw Hermione, looking amused.

"Hermione... You didn't eat dinner, did you? Get changed out of your school clothes, we'll pay the house eleves a visit" Draco's words came out softly, he sounded so different. Hermione was surprised at how caring he sounded.

Without saying a word, Hermione left, heading up to her room.

Twenty minutes later, Hermione was ready. Dressed in jeans, a tshirt, and a slouchy cardigan. Draco was sitting on the edge of the couch, waiting for her.

"C'mon, Granger, I'm starving" Draco complained, his voice was annoyed, but Hermione could see a trace of humour in his expression. Hermione rolled her eyes at his complaints, and followed him, out of the common room.

The corridors of Hogwarts were eerily still, and silent. Only whispers could be heard, from the portraits. It was rather chilly, so Hermione pulled her cardigan round her, tightly, in order to keep warm. Draco saw her shivering, and awkwardly put his arm around her. Immediately, he felt rather stupid. It had felt so instinctive, natural. He glanced down, prepared to pull away, when he saw Hermione, smiling up at him. "thank you" she whispered, quietly.

After a 15 minute walk, they arrived outside of the kitchens. Curiously, Winky the elf was there, it appeared as if she was waiting for them. "Ah, yes, Miss Granger and Mr Slytherin boy". Winky opened the door, and beckoned them inside.

Upon their arrival, the elves starting clanging and banging about, preparing a meal for Draco and Hermione. Winky then beckoned them towards a small door, at the end of the kitchen. Draco took the lead, and Hermione followed suit.

Through the door, there was a room, it was rather beautiful. It had a table, and two chairs, the table was already set, as if waiting for someone to dine there. The room was glowing, as small globes of light floated just below the ceiling. The room was rather simple, but it had a romantic feel to it.

Draco cleared his throat awkwardly. He turned around, to find that Winky had gone. He then faced Hermione, smirked, and put his arm out, guiding her to one of the chairs at the table.

The house-elves served them a wonderful meal, Draco and Hermione ate, laughing and talking of what they wanted to do when they left Hogwarts. Throughout the dinner, Hermione couldn't help but think,

"He's.. Wonderful, absolutely wonderful" Draco's behaviour had changed so much, in so little time, Hermione felt herself growing slightly attached, and she didn't care one single bit.