Chapter 2

I grew bored of talking to Margret and curled up next to the window watching the snowflakes fall ever so daintily, slowly drifting into a deep sleep.

A few minutes later I was jolted awake by Margret clapping her hands in triumph.

"Are you hungry?" Margret said, smirking.

"Well yes, but we have no money?"

"You're right we don't have any money, but there is a creek a little bit down the road next to a big vegetable garden, so I was thinking we could make soup and set up camp for the night."

"You want to steal?"

"And what do you suppose we do instead?" "Starve?"

I looked at her with pure frustration.

"Ok so do you want to boil the water or... borrow the vegetables?"

"You mean steal the vegetables." I snarl.

"If I let you feed the horses will you stop whining?"

"Fine"

I slowly trudge down the slope and bend down to fill the large silver pot Margret had packed, with cold dirty water. 

And wish I was home.

I hate that I wish I was at home, with my glass of clean water and notions of being made breakfast. Some people spend their whole lives living off the land with no horses and carriage, no pots and pans, no warm blankets and pillows, but here I am with so many things some could only dream of, yet still, I want more, I think I am entitled to more.

I make my way up the slope carefully so as not to drop the heavy pot. It would be so much easier if the water contained no wait. I would probably be cooking by now if the pot wasn't so heavy.

Once I'm back at camp Margret has already set up a small fire and laid out all the vegetables she stole.

"How long could getting water possibly take?" Margret said, raising her left eyebrow.

"Sorry I got lost in a train of thought."

I wish I could raze only one of my eyebrows, It would come in handy. Like maybe next time I rob a bank I could just raze my eyebrow instead of taking a weapon, seeing as its sheer intensity should have the power to make anyone give me all the money.   I let out a small laugh, not loud enough for Margaret to hear, but loud enough for you to worry she heard it. 

Margret didn't hear a lot of things, Margret only hears what she wants to hear. If you told Margret to do the washing, as you may have guessed, she would state she never heard you when you came back to collect it.

"Maria" Margret said softly. "Do you think Charlie is ok?"

Margret started to cry.

"Charlie is very smart, you shouldn't worry about him, he will be fine." I said in a motherly tone.

" I'm going to explore, can you keep stirring the vegetables?" Margret retorted. 

"Ya sure"

I say As I watch Margret walk away, I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't gone out the window with Margret. I also ponder how prepared we were. How long had Margret been planning the escape, did she even plan on taking me, Did taking me stop her from saving Charlie? Did she plan to take Charlie? Questions flashed through my mind. Just as everything calmed, a burning smell arose. I jumped up immediately thinking Margret was in trouble, but no I had just burned dinner. I had one simple thing to do and I failed. What use would I be on this adventure if I can't even do a small task as simple as that?

Maybe if I quickly went and borrowed more vegetables, Margret wouldn't realize just how incompetent the girl she saved instead of her beloved Charlie was.

I ran down the dirt road almost passing the large greenhouse. 

I bend down pulling up a few carrots and then walk over to a large rusty bucket of mushrooms only taking a few.

when I get back to the camp I plop them in the pot one by one and began to slowly mix them in the boiling water. The temprecher had started to drop as night slowly began. I wondered where Margret was. Had she gotten lost? Or maybe she had planned to abandon me and go on her own adventure. I solemnly pour an odd milky powder that Margaret had packed in her bag. Mother used to always let me pour it in when she made soup, I miss her.

I rake through Margrets bag to find two bowls I could pour the soup in. 

The soup was already starting to go cold and Margret still hasn't come back

I slowly get up, missing the warmth off the ground, and start to look around for Margret. All I can see are dark figures and a faint light from the moon shining through the top of the trees. Well actually it's the sun shining, and the moon is just taking all the credit. I feel bad for the sun. If I was the sun, you would know all about how the moon did me wrong. Trust me.

I clumsily make my way through the dark forest till I see a new light. Did Margret have a light? I didn't remember her bringing a torch, then again I don't even remember what direction she went. 

Suddenly a large bulky man emerged from the forest clutching the hood of Margret's dark velvety jacket. I let out a scream, then clasped my hands over my mouth regretting everything up to this point in my life. I couldn't fully see the man, but he had killed Margret. And soon he would kill me.