a threesome

When did you realise? Because I reckon you were one of the first.

Quite quickly, I think. I was working under Ben, alongside Julio. No, because it's actually hilarious when I think about it. (laughs)

Ben isn't the type of person who's very open about his feelings. I guess he can appear cold when you first meet him, but... I don't know how to describe it, you get a sort of feel for what his silence means. There's frustrated Ben, and angry Ben, and happy Ben, all existing within that silence. And the thing is, I was expecting frustrated Ben because I was supposed to do all the blots, and all the tedious protocol stuff, but because he was in the lab—literally, bench to bench—with Julio, I was getting happy, cheerful Ben.

I didn't clock it at first, and then...I hate to speak badly about Ben because Ben is, you know, he can do no wrong, but there's no way in hell he needed eight semi-dry transfers that week. And who's a pro at that in our lab? Julio. I mean, come on

I think I've spoken to Ben like, five times.

Since he started working?

Yeah. We have nothing to say to each other. And he hates small talk.

Because you're a great conversationalist and he can't bear to lose, ever, in anything.

(laughter)

That's the thing. Is he competitive? Because he feels kinda...

It must be an academic thing. Look at Gregory. They're both known—to all their cred—to get the work done. I mean, their impact speaks for itself, so what does it matter if they're antisocial? Gregory more than Ben. I feel like Ben is slightly misunderstood though. I believe he's shy. Like, on the low self-esteem, anxiety side of the spectrum, unlike Gregory who's the clinical definition of antisocial.

Do you see the way he treats Sebastien?

The time he called him stupid?

Yeah and the general disregard. Ben is kind.

Julio is kind. I saw them sharing a cigarette—and you definitely know Ben doesn't smoke—

When?

Last Friday. Outside.

Oh. Oooooh!

I don't know if I should tell you what else I saw, it just feels... I don't know.

They were kissing and what else?

The height difference.

(laughs) No. You did not zero in on the height.

Ana, it was haunting me! I literally went home feeling like I caught the nastiest flu. Just shaking, feverish.

Did you get covid tested?

Shut up.

I'm serious. We were like a hundred people in there.

He was cradling his face, like this, all tender and shit. It made me feel something. He's so hot, and then—Julio! Like, what the fuck do they even talk about? No, seriously.

Maybe they don't talk.

(laughter)

Just grunting.

And touching each other tenderly.

That's hot.

Okay. I'm just going to ignore you said that. They're an odd couple, I'll admit, but so are Rei and Marzia.