The Sleepover

Caroline bursts through the front door almost running over her mother.

"Whoa there," Jackie says stopping her daughter, "hello Caroline, how was school."

"School today was great mom. Cindy McNamara is having a sleepover for her eighth birthday and she invited me. Can I go?"

"Well, I would have to talk to your father first."

"Ok," Caroline replies, "the sleepover is next weekend."

"Alright, you will have your answer soon," Jackie replies before kissing her daughter on the cheek, "now it's time to get your homework done. I'll call you when it's time for dinner."

"Yes mommy," she replies before going up the stairs.

Once Caroline was no longer nearby she lets out a sigh. Her little girl is growing up. Now she is going to her first sleepover. Where was time going? Next thing she know both of her children will be going off to college. 

Jackie makes her way to her husband's office where he's been locked in since this morning. She knocks before she is advised to come in. She walks in and sees her husband leaning back in his chair reading over some papers. He is wearing his glasses a look on him that made him look studious as well as hot. 

"Can I help you, Mrs. Kennedy?" Jack replies not taking his eyes off the papers. 

"Yes Mr. President I need to talk to you about an urgent matter," Jackie replies in her soft voice that drives her husband crazy. 

The president looks up at his wife with a raised eyebrow. She only uses that voice when they are alone in the residence. 

"What kind of matter is it?" he asks taking his glasses off tossing them onto his desk. 

"It's about Caroline," she says sitting on the chair next to his desk. 

"What's wrong with Caroline? Is she ok?" he asks concerned about his buttons. 

"She's fine, Jack relax," Jackie replies with a small smile, "Cindy McNamara invited Caroline to a sleepover at her house for her eighth birthday and Caroline asked if she could go."

"Oh," he replies relaxing, "when is this sleepover supposed to take place?" Jack asks. 

"Caroline didn't give me the date yet, but I can reach out to Margaret or Robert and ask them," Jackie replies. 

Jack leans back in his chair and thinks about it. His little girl is going to her first sleepover, the first time she will be staying with someone who isn't family. 

"What do you think kid? Should we let her go?" he asks looking at his wife. 

"I think we should, Bob and Margarent are very nice and Caroline gets along with Cindy very well. Also she is at the age where she's going to start receiving invites to sleepovers and parties. We can't keep her here forever, besides she'll have one of her agents with her."

He lets out a sigh, "Alright we let her go. I'm just not ready for my Buttons to grow up on me. First sleepovers, then highschool, and then boys, Christ Jackie what the hell are we going to do?"

"Just take it one day at a time Jack. She's only seven years old, we have some time to prepare ourselves for highschool and boys."

"Right, what are you doing later, you know after the kids go to bed?" he asks putting his glasses back on. 

"Nothing why?" Jackie asks confused. 

"We may need to work on the creation of another Kennedy," he replies with a wink. 

She blushes and stands up. "We'll see about that Mr. President," she replies walking towards the door making sure she sways her hips a little more. 

Jack smiles as her turns his attention back to his work. 

A Week later...

Jack comes up to the residence to spend time with Jackie and the children. He's been in back to back meetings all day so he didn't get naptime with Jackie nor have breakfast with his children. By the time he arrives in the residence, its past nine pm. Just as he steps off the elevator he sees Jackie leaving out of John and Caroline's room. 

"Hey kid, are the kids asleep?" he asks walking towards his wife. 

"Yes John's asleep," she replies following her husband into their bedroom. 

"So Caroline is still awake?" he asks grabbing a couple books to read to them. 

"Well I don't know Jack? Jackie asks confused. 

"What do you mean you don't know Jackie, you were just in the room with them?" Jack asks his wife. 

"I wouldn't know if she is awake because Caroline isn't here," she retorts.

"What do you mean she isn't here Jackie? Why isn't Caroline home?" he asks fear in his voice. 

"Jack did you forget? Caroline is at Cindy's sleepover, today is Friday."

Just then he lets the books fall out of his hand creating a loud thud on the floor. He feels heartbroken, he didn't even get the chance to kiss his daughter goodbye before she left. He also forgot he and Jackie agreed to let Caroline go to the sleepover. He sits down on the side of the bed disappointment written all over his face. 

"What in the...she's got to start staying home more often," he says. *

*This story was inspired by reading a short story about JFK coming home to find out Caroline had went to a sleepover. The source for this story can be found here:  https://roanokesunset.tumblr.com/post/618961313707769856/jfk-and-caroline-short-stories