07

I didn't bother to ask Luke if he was okay, I thought it was better to keep quiet, plus, he was just passing by the kitchen when he saw me. He went to god knew where, his hands rubbing his face and disappeared in the huge house.

Lucy came almost immediately and huffed joyfully once she saw me, she said she was happy that I came. She dragged me to her room upstairs and I almost gasped as I saw it. I could swear that the Clifford's house was the cavern of Ali Baba.

There was lot of useless, weird decorations everywhere; mini elephants made with wood, chandeliers from the medieval century, a king sized princess bed, painting from ancient Egypt and more. I never guessed that someone like Lucy would have such an unusual bedroom. I thought it would be as lame as mine, since we had a lot in common, maybe it could've even been black; nothing like that, though.

"Don't be surprised, mom collections old stuff and cleans them and all to make them useful. I used to feel weird when she started doing this but I got used to her," she said between laughter.

It looked bizarre but I pushed the thoughts away and nodded at her. She sat on her bad and I did the same, crossing my legs to make myself comfortable.

She was checking her phone, holding a finger at me to wait and I took the chance to wonder what was upsetting Luke so much that made him cry. Was this day the national day of sadness or something in this country? First me - but I didn't care and no-one did, which relieved me - then dad, Ashton and now Luke. It was really strange.

Lucy was tapping furiously on her phone, too concentrated to see me getting up and heading to the door. I knew her parents weren't home until tomorrow so I didn't fear walking alone in an immense house as this one. I was searching for one room particularly to find one boy specifically. Even though I, myself, wasn't in the mood to do anything, I really wanted to see if he was doing alright and perhaps make him feel better.

Before I could walk any further, I heard the doorbell ringing and froze in my place. I didn't know what to do and it was all quiet there. It could be anyone; Lucy's parents even though I was sure it wasn't them, the pizza deliverer, a kidnapper... Anyone. The bell rang numerous times and no-one went to open, which didn't give me any choice but to go downstairs and see who was at the door.

As I opened it slowly but carefully, I gasped as I saw Ashton, but sighed once he entered. At least it wasn't some serial killer, I thought to myself.

"What are you doing, Ashton?" I asked looking at him taking off his shoes.

"I thought about what you told me and I guess it's better to do it now," he admitted in a low voice and played with his fingers. "Could you call him for me, please?"

I looked at him, long enough for him to understand that I didn't know where he was, nor where his room was. Ashton sighed and took me by my wrist, dragging me to the second floor and into the dark big corridor, until we were in front of a black door where "go away Lucy" was written in italic. His hand found mine and took it as well. I didn't feel comfortable having our hands interlaced but I knew it made him fell less stressed, so I didn't say anything. I was able to feel Ashton's nervousness as he was debating the urge to knock. I knew how hard it was for him, so I did it instead of him. And I knocked.

"Lucy, I swear to god- Ashton?" Michael's jaw dropped when he opened the door, meeting face to face with the blond boy.

"Ashton?" I heard Calum say and he got up along with Luke, pausing their game.

Ashton was looking at his feet, stealing glances at me from time to time and I squeezed his hand that was still on mine, comforting him. I backed away, pushing him softly to enter the room and work things out with his friend. I didn't want to mind their business or to know more than I already did so I walked pass the two other boys who were leaving the room and went toward Lucy's. Not having the energy - and the motivation - to talk to Luke anymore.