Chapter Eleven

Brigette and the mist stared at each other for what felt like an eternity. Brigette wanted to scream but nothing was coming out of her, her chest was constricting. Juno seemed utterly at ease, giving Brigette a good look. In Juno's hand was a spear-like thing with a blossoming flower on top. Although nothing about Her body was solid, the aura She gave off certainly was. Brigette could feel the centuries of life She had lived. Images of Juno had always depicted Her in dresses but in actuality, what She wore was so much more than that. Perhaps it was the mist making Her entire being seem more fantastical but the golden dress She wore had tassels and cinched in on the waist. On Her arm were gold armbands that the mist hugged. She was a Goddess for a reason. A gold crown lay on her head, the queen of Goddesses. Brigette bowed down to the floor, in utter awe of the being before her.

"Rise."

The Goddess's voice was surprisingly soft and it had a melodic tune to it, Brigette could get lost in it. Asked to do anything in it and she would comply. Compulsion or not.

"Brigette Nic Dara, I have been searching for you."

Brigette's heart hammered away in her chest, Juno knew her name. The world was going mad.

"It is an honour," was all Brigette could say.

"You have something of mine," the body of mist did a slight twirl, dusts of glitter forming around Her. Majestic.

Brigette reached to unclasp the necklace, "Yes, I am so sorry. It is yours once more, how can I apologise?"

"Do not take it off," Juno said.

Brigette's hands halted around her neck.

"I wished for you to find it."

"What do you mean?"

Juno looked from the necklace to Brigette's face, studying her, "You can come into my world, but I can not come into yours."

"I don't understand."

Juno waved the spear around, the smell of flowers filled the bathroom, "I sent this necklace to find you, to bring you to me."

Brigette was stunned, "Why? How do you know who I am?"

"The Gods have called on you, you have been chosen by them, by us."

Brigette felt queasy, "For what?"

"You truly do not understand?"

"No. I don't understand anything."

"War threatens Magmella once more, someone must lead them."

"I am a human, Magmella has a royal bloodline to lead them."

"That is not what nature has called for," Juno did another twirl. "The Gods have been resting peacefully but I was awoken from my slumber at the threat of war. I asked my necklace to find aid, it found you."

Brigette could not process what Juno was telling Her. There was nothing Brigette could possibly do for Magmella. She should never have stolen the damned necklace.

"No."

"No?" Juno roared, black mist exploded but Brigette felt nothing. The entire bathroom turned dark but Juno remained. "You have no choice."

"I do not wish to be chosen, choose someone else."

"You will realise soon enough, girl, that this was willed."

Brigette did not respond, a lump lodged in her throat.

"She who travels between worlds, who weeps on her knees," Juno sang. "Whether it be near or far from home, her cries will be heard, etch a name on stone, with her gift she sends Our word."