Chapter Fourteen

The rest of the meal passed by without another hitch. Taran didn't let Brigette into his mind for the rest of the meal except to say 'Don't bring up the mind reading again.' That honestly made Brigette want to bring it up more, nevertheless she stayed silent for the remainder. Conor, Taran, and Liam bantered with each other and Brigette watched them, jealous that she didn't have anyone apart from her sister she could be like that with. She was truly looking forward to coming home. For now though, Taran would continue to rub her shoulder as he spoke. A girl could get used to this.

"So, Brigette," Conor began. "What attracted you to our Taran?"

Brigette jolted, caught off guard by Conor's question.

"Uhm," she looked to Taran for inspiration who raised an eyebrow in expectance. "Who could say no that pretty face?"

"No but really," Conor said. "He can be a tough one to crack."

Oh Gods, they were really doing this, "Well," she started. "He was very good to me, regardless of what I had stolen. He's strong and smart; he gives me lessons everyday. His willingness and desire to take care of his people is admirable and I like that best about him."

Taran let a small smile show on his face and turned to face the boys quickly, "I'm a charmer, what can I say?"

Brigette reddened at the realisation that she had just said all of that in front of Conor and Liam, let alone Taran himself. She was never going to hear the end of this and the worst part was she meant every word. If she knew Taran like she thought she did, she had no doubt he wouldn't let this go. Judging by the look on his face when he turned back to look at her, it was a certainty.

"You know," Liam began. "I don't think Taran has properly introduced us to a partner before."

Now this surprised Brigette. She knew it was common for people of Magmella to have many lovers and for Taran not to have had many was strange. He was arguably the most eligible man in all of Magmella.

"Really?" Brigette's voice came out quieter than she intended.

"Really," Liam said. "I don't think I've even seen him with a lover before."

Taran just stayed still as a predator. Gods he was next level handsome when he did that, "That's not true," he said.

"No, it is," Conor argued. "I know you've been with people but I've never met them or seen you with them."

"Maybe he's lying to you all and has never even kissed someone," Brigette joked weakly.

Conor raised an eyebrow at Taran, "Go on," he urged. "Kiss her."

Brigette froze instantly, unsure of what to do in the situation. She didn't dare look at Taran who was probably shooting daggers at his friend. Maybe he really had never kissed anyone before, which is fine, it didn't really matter. But that didn't mean she needed to get involved. Taran looked at her, his eyes begging her to come up with a way out of this. Why did that sting? Instead of acknowledging the emotion she sent a message over to him.

'What do we do?'

'Just ignore them.'

So Brigette did.

"That mind reading is more intimate than kissing anyway," Conor laughed, popping a piece of steak into his mouth with feral ferocity.

'Maybe they'll leave it,' Brigette offered over their line of communication.

Although Taran didn't answer, she knew what he was thinking. Doubtful. His green eyes searched her as she pushed the steak around her plate, her eyes darting between it and him. She needed to come up with something for them alone if Taran wouldn't.