Chapter 27

a/n: pretty long chapter - 1900 words x

James's POV:

I was adding the finishing touches to the forest, perfecting the fairy lights around the trees and bushes before I heard chatter coming from down the canopy bridge - chatter which I could register as coming from Riley, Piper and John. I don't know what they were talking about but as soon as I heard my girlfriend's cute laugh following a comment made by my sister in response to my step-dad, I quickly climbed down the steps of the ladder and folded it into half before carefully laying it down behind a bush.

"Are you sure this is the place? We're not lost, are we?" Riley's anxious voice calls through. I look up and see that Piper was walking along the bridge but Riley was further behind. John must have been stood on the other end, waiting for Piper to return.

"No, Riley. I've been here multiple times with Mom before. James did say the Canopy, didn't he?"

"Well, yeah," she says. "But who knows what he means by that. He might have just set up a little tent by the caravans."

"Do you know my brother?" Piper inquires, making me chuckle at their little argument. "His grand gestures are more sentimental than Mom and John's wedding day, okay. Trust me, we're at the right place."

"Ugh, fine."

As soon as we make eye-contact, I give my sister a thumbs-up sign to let her know she could leave now and then I make my way inside the little tent I had, in fact, set up beneath the hollered trees which caved in. There was a reason we called this place a Canopy and it was because of the tall trees which acted as one. I sit there, pillows fluffed, blankets set, lights shining and torch turned on.

This was going to be perfect, I could tell.

Riley's POV:

I'd reached the end of the bridge to be met with a large field of grass. There were three different paths and I had no idea which way to go. Piper and John were down the other end, waiting for me to text them when I find James but at the moment, I had no idea where he was.

That is until I look down and find a trail of rose petals scattered along the way and as I follow the trail with my eyes, I find a note on a tree stump reading the words 'We're like a rosebush, right?'. I roll my eyes and chuckle, making my way down the path until I find a small, cute tent set up in the middle of the fields. I don't understand why it's called a Canopy though. It's nothing like a canopy from what I'm looking at now.

"James?" I call into the distance, unsure of where he was. Looking down, I find more petals scattered around so I follow them up to the tent before the zip is opened and I find James sat there, holding a bunch of roses in his hands. Smiling at him, I blush as he smiles up at me. 

"Hey," he says plainly, making me laugh lightly.

"Hi, James."

Sending Piper a quick message on my phone, I then put it into my tiny purse I had draped over my shoulder before I enter the little tent James had set up for us.