|3|

"Medium French Vanilla Latte?" My quiet voice called out, a cup of coffee in one hand.

A middle-aged woman with impossibly straight blonde hair slightly raised her hand and headed over to the counter.

"Here you go." I chirped at her, giving my best smile.

She just returned it with a tight smile, grabbing the coffee and heading out of the shop.

I rolled my eyes. What a great way to start off the day.

***

"Hey Tess?" I hear my coworker Alyssa call out for me from the register, about five feet away.

"Yeah?" My hands gathered my hair into a pony tail and secured it with a green elastic band as I glanced over at her. It was too damn hot in here.

"Some guy left you a note?" That got my attention.

"What?" I questioned, heading over to her.

The coffee shop was close to being deserted, just a few customers here and there indulging in our free WiFi and a beverage, and that allowed me to have dome down time to read. My nose was busy in the book to realize that someone had come in and left.

She handed me a white piece of paper, a small smirk on her rosy red lips. "He was pretty hot."

I rolled my eyes at her before glancing at the paper. A gasp escaped my lips and I stumbled backwards, my hand grazing the steamer.

"Fuck." I muttered, dropping the paper and grabbing my burnt hand.

"Jesus Tess. Are you okay? Here, take some ice." Alyssa grabbed a rag, filled it with a couple pieces of ice, and handed it to me.

I took it from her and applied it to my sore area, a scared look never leaving my face. I was never one to tolerate pain but I was too busy thinking about those words over and over again.

You're mine now. Not his. I promise.

***

Josh's face was twisted and filled with anger. He crumpled the paper in his fist as hard as he could before chucking it at the wall. I just sat on the kitchen counter, feet swaying back and forth, chewing on my lip. It was a nervous habit I had picked up on from some kid in the sixth grade. It stuck with me ever since.

"Fuck." His hands ran threw his black hair, gently pulling on it.

I sighed. Hopping down from the counter, I approached him and wrapped my arms around his waist, burying my face into his back. His breathing was rapid and angry, but it begun to calm down and after awhile it was close to normal.

"Don't worry babe." I peeped, my face still buried in his blue shirt.

He unwrapped me from him and turned around, clentching his jaw.

"Don't you get it?" He yelled.

"No?"

"They are going to come for you!" Yelling.

"I doubt it."

"They will! They are nothing but scum!" More yelling.

"Josh, calm down."

"Don't tell me to calm down!"

"Josh!"

"I just don't want to lose you Tess." The yelling stopped, instead his voice cracked and he fell to his knees.

"I couldn't live with myself if something happens to you, especially if I could've done something to prevent it. I can't stop them." He was crying, down on his knees with his face in his hands.

It shattered my heart, seeing him so vulnerable.

"Babe, shush. It's okay. Don't cry." I ran my fingers through his hair, ran my hands up and down his neck, trying to soothe him.

His arms wrapped around my thighs and he buried his face in my jeans. I continued to stroke through his hair, down his neck, wanting him to stop crying.

I eventually got down on my knees and wrapped my arms around his neck, allowing his face to bury in my neck.

"All last week we didn't see them, they haven't come after me. You've walked me home from your house during the day and the coffee shop at night. They didn't make a move towards me. What makes you think they will now?"

He looked up into my eyes, his bloodshot and teary.

"Harry never breaks his promises."