Preface -> lilah

I was coming back home from school, it was a crisp autumn evening and the leaves were swirling around my feet. Mahogany chestnuts were bursting about of their spiky green shells and dropping on the grey pavement , occasionally hitting an unlucky passerby on the head.
I arrived at the front door to my house, about to fish my key out of my school bag but I heard shouting from inside. It was my parents fighting for the 100th time this week.
' It wasn't my fault that we had such a disappointment of a child'
My heart plummeted. I always knew my dad hated me but I never imagined him telling my mom.
'She's an utter disgrace to this family'
My heart plummeted even deeper- it was probably in my shoes by now. I also never imagined my mom agreeing with my dad about me.
'IM FILING FOR A DIVORCE'
There goes mom again, screaming in her banshee fashion.
'BE MY GUEST'
That's dad. Good. At least they will stop fighting.

I was wrong. It's been three years and my dad moved out but keeps harassing mom on the phone each night. Always asking for money for god knows what. Mom doesn't have much money so I don't know why dad bothers to ask. She spends it all on her latest addiction and never has a penny to spare for for food or household necessities. That's how I've ended up working two jobs after school- one in the local  Spar and the other as a barista. The work is tedious but at least it provides some form of income.