Chapter 2

Nate

My friends are a mere buzz around me. I can barely hear what they are saying. I know I am gawping like an idiot but I can't take my focus of her . She has a strange intense focus on her fries. Wonder why they're so interesting, she finally raises her head , her mouth turned into a perfect 'o' of surprise when she sees me watching her. Her eyes narrow and she gives me the finger , flipping me off. Guess I deserve it , after all I am staring at her like a freaking pervert.

"Nate?" Ambrose calls over to me. Crap! I was completely ignoring my friends.

"Yeah, sorry I was just zoned out" I mean it's not a complete lie. I was zoned out but I was focusing on Lilahs table.

"Where should we hold the party?" Ambrose asks.

" I'm not going to another one of your house parties Ambo"

"Why Nate? You used to always come"

I hesitate. I used to attend every one of my mates parties. I am the most popular guy at school and I hate it. I hate the way you are expected to be doing everything that's 'cool' and I hate the way everyone clings to your every words as if they're sacred. Especially girls. I absolutely loathe the way girls latch themselves like glue to my side. Except Lilah. If lilah clung onto me I would never let her go. Except lilah hates me - she's hated my since seventh grade: I mean I understand why, I'm a bit of a jerk but that's all part of the cool kid charade. I'm expected to act like that.
I snap out of my trance and reply " Ye, they're just getting a bit boring Ambo"

Ambrose shrugs and continues discussing the upcoming event with my friends. I mean acquaintances. None of them are my real friends , just my irritating admirers. Apart from Ambrose, he's my bud.

I leave the table and head to Trig, hoping to catch up with lilah. She's already in the room and I spy a free desk beside her. I plop down into it and she gives me a dirty look and inches her chair away from me. Ouch. That's a bit harsh, I didn't realize she dislikes me that much. Lilah sneaks a glance at me through her icy eyes ringed with eyeliner. God the black contrasts off her pale skin and cold eyes making her look ethereal.
" Nate why the hell are you looking at me like that?" She asks breaking my trace.

" sorry Li"
" don't call me "Li"
" ok Li"