Chapter Six

During the rest of the time, several tributes came with offerings to be our allies and protectors, but we had to say the same thing we told Cole.

"'We'll think about it' is what we told them," Elias commented. "Honestly, at least not killing us for the first few hours would be enough."

"Besides, I'd rather make a truce between them. I don't want to ally with too many people at once, not to mention that I personally don't trust most of them," I added.

At dinner back in our suite, that was the main subject.

"Nothing like this has happened before," Effie said, slightly in shock. "It is very strange."

"At least they just have a bunch of tame teenagers gunning after them and not animals trying to find prey from wherever they can get them," Haymitch remarked, unsurprised.

We just sat there listening to them talk. I agree with Haymitch with this year's tributes not trying too hard to win. They're sort of trying to survive but they really are trying to gain our attention and take them under our wing in order to achieve victory. When I mean 'our attention', it actually means mine and mine alone.

"Having all these people turning their attention to us makes us more of a threat to District Two. The worst case scenario would ve everyone, including us, getting killed by them just because they are our followers. Maybe they would leave Cole and Kiaya alive because of their joint status as Careers but they will kill them off soon enough," I explained the predicament at hand.

"Honestly, Ryalle," Haymitch began. "Having them two is a huge benefit for you. Not just their Career status but are also good fighters. If you choose to depend on them in exchange of having your lives protected, they will either be true to their word or use their promise against you. You choose."

"I'd keep an eye on them if I were you. You can never expect anything to come from a mystery like them," Effie added.

I curtly responded to their concerns. "We will speak to them tomorrow."

~ ~ ~

On the second day of training, the first thing we did was to get Cole and Kiaya's attention. Luckily, the two of them are just chatting in the firemaking station. I could tell by their distinct blonde hair that it was them.

"Is this a good talking place?" I whispered upon arriving to their spot.

"Yeah," Cole nodded. "Carla and Alex aren't coming until after lunch so you two are good."

I nodded. After I dragged Elias here, the four of us scooted to the back of the station, so we can remain hidden from the others.

"We came over to you both now to say yes to our partnership," Elias began. "But on a few conditions."

I then picked up from where he left off. "First, be honest with us. We'll get to know more about each other and what Two is planning. If you lie, then we'll stop telling you what we both have in mind and possibly kill you both before you are able to run back to them, assuming that they are your backups. Secondly, keep open communication with us and each other; we need to know what everyone's agendas are."

"We have a pretty good insight on what people are possibly thinking so if you are keeping something from us, I suggest you blurt it out," Elias continued.

"Got it," the two blondes nodded in response.

"Third, if you get any sponsor gifts, you have to show whatever you got for the whole party," he began. "I know, in my point of view, side agendas tend to be created with new factors but it's so we know what each of us have."

Kiaya spoke up, "I know what you mean there."

"Lastly, don't kill each other until it's only us left," I said in a stern tone. "You can still kill anyone else that you'd like to kill but be careful about it."

"Why?" Cole questioned.

I sighed. "Just... plan the kills carefully."

The two of them didn't question us any further.

"Any questions you may have, feel free to ask before the Games start," I stated. "We'll see you both around."

Then we walked over to the station across from us to continue our training.

~ ~ ~

We were at the camouflage station for a while, and there, I found out that Elias is artistically gifted. Not only he is able to match the texture of various elements like the ground and the tree trunks but he is able to do so in as less time as possible. He also seems to know which natural ingredient to use to even make the pattern blend in with the environment.

"It would take me forever to even paint any part of me like a rock," I commented, showing off my half-finished masterpiece on my arm.

"It's okay," Elias assured me. "As long as you're able to climb, that'll be enough."

"True."

"And just in case, I also tried to match the pattern of snow," he added, showing off his hand covered in white with some soil-looking details that basically matched the usual snow-covered ground completely. "You can't expect what this year's arena will look like until we get our outfits."

I decided to try to paint some snow on myself as well. While I did, I observed what was happening around us. Cole and Kiaya are still hanging out at the firemaking station, talking and casually making fire. Then I saw a pair of tributes sparring some simulations with axes. Everyone's working hard as usual.

Carla and Alex are nowhere to be seen, which was expected since Cole mentioned that they aren't coming until after lunch.

"We should continue working on what we need to improve and refining what we are personally good at," I blurted out.

"Alright then."