Chapter Three

In no time, we reached our destination. This is the first time I've ever been to the capitol, but it could possibly be my last, considering the fact that I'm trying to survive against 23 other tributes. If I had said this out loud, everyone will shoot down those words. Do they really believe in me that much?

Compared to how rural District 12 is, the Capitol is the total definition of glamorous and over-the-top. As soon as we arrived at the train station, I saw many people wearing wigs, heavy makeup, anything that'll make anyone, even the least observant people, notice them.

"This is different," Elias commented, in which I also agreed to that statement with a nod.

When we got off the train, we were both escorted to one building while Effie and Haymitch walked another way.

"Where are we going?" I asked one of the escorts.

"You're going to get a makeover!" she exclaimed in reply.

A makeover? What did I need one for–oh, it's for the tribute parade.

So I just went with the flow. The first part of the makeover included a full-body wax, which I didn't mind, yet I literally didn't know that it meant some pain would be involved when the wax strips are removed. I was kind of annoyed, but at least it was over and done with within an hour and a half.

After the waxers left, another person came in. Even though his style was similar to the previous people who were in the room, the Capitol-style aura was more subtle.

"Hi Ryalle, I have heard a lot about you," the person greeted.

"You have?" I questioned.

"Yes, but let me introduce myself first." He then cleared his throat. "My name is Ventus, and I will be your personal stylist for the duration of your stay here in the Capitol, and before the Games."

He told me about how he saw me being reaped for the Games. I recalled back to that day and I remembered telling myself that it's the Tesserae's fault, yet I didn't show any signs of fear. Honestly, I felt like I was ready for the Games physically, even if my mind kept on refusing that fact.

"You have potential, you just have to believe in yourself," he finished with that statement.

Yet I have problems believing in myself. Even Perry has to assure me that everything will be okay. But no matter what...

"I'll keep that in mind," I remarked.

Ventus bowed slightly in acknowledgement. A few seconds of silence passed, and Ventus was the next person to speak. "Now, for your outfit. Not many stylists ever consider the personality of the individual when making the outfit. They only care about the reputation of the district. As for you, making an impression is my top priority, and Acacia, Elias's stylist, is also briefing him on a similar discussion as well. I want for you to give off a mysterious aura; make people question what is special about you both. I'll get your outfit now so give me a moment."

~ ~ ~

My outfit is more of a sleeveless jumpsuit, all black, with the pants flaring out at the ends. It's also a loose fit overall, better suited for casual occasions. Ventus also told me that he also inserted special effects to it so I just have to press the button that he provided with the outfit.

Elias's outfit also consisted of a similar style. He had on a dark silver vest that looked like he had armor on, though it looked like Acacia subtly added the texture of coat onto it so it didn't look too similar to what Two are wearing. He also wore plain black cargo pants and silver gauntlets as well. I don't know if there were any other special effects added on to the outfit but I will have to see later.

"Everyone looks so glamorous, can our outfits compare to them?" I commented as I admired everyone's costumes while I doubted ours at the same time.

Elias sighed. "You know, I just learned one more thing about you."

"What?"

He hummed. "You always seem to doubt yourself. I don't know why, but you do."

I shrugged. "I can't help it."

Elias pulled me by the arm and seconds later, I can feel his breath on my ear as he whispered. "When we are in the arena, I will go wherever you go. I hope this doesn't put any type of pressure on you but I trust your choices."

I wrapped my free hand around the bicep of the arm holding mine.

"Thank you for being there," I said.

"It's no problem," he replied. "We're staying together no matter what."

Now that I think about it, Elias Jones is someone I can trust. I'm betting that if Perry was my partner, he'll probably have his own agenda besides our own. Sure, Elias and I are close to becoming friends but I will literally go crazy if we ever start dating by the time we are in the arena but whatever.

"Tributes, mount your chariots."

As soon as that announcement was made, we both headed for our chariot stationed at the back of all the others. I was about to get up on it myself but Elias, who apparently already mounted our chariot, held out a hand for me to take, to help me up.

"I just learned one more thing about you too," I laughed as I took his hand and got up myself.

Elias raised an eyebrow. "Yeah?"

"You are a shameless gentleman."

We're very sure that the nearby tributes are wondering what the hell are the coal miners talking about but in our point of view, we don't care about what they think. We only care about what the two of us think. Haymitch and Effie sometimes care as well but for now, it's just the two of us.

We're ready to take on Panem. Not only that but also, the world.