Prolouge

ELIANA

To me, forbidden things have always had a secret charm.

They send my heart racing like a wild horse, put a gleam in my eyes that resembles the night sky. I've always longed for the thrill of an adventure that leaves goosebumps laced down my arms.

As a princess, one that is seen as the definition of perfection to her subjects, the things I am allowed to do are limited, to say the least. During the day, I spend my time reading, painting, focusing on the arts. I don't mind these things. In fact, sometimes they're all I want to do. But, no matter how long I devote myself to my passions and education, I always find myself back in the same place as before.

Yearning for freedom.

I can see how my statement may seem ignorant, even naive or oblivious. I wouldn't blame you for thinking so. Once in a while, it does cross my mind just how blind my thoughts may truly be. I've never wanted for anything material, never gone to sleep on an empty stomach, never wondered if I would lose the roof over my head. To many, and sometimes even to myself, my problems seem inconsequential. How could I, a girl who's got everything, think freedom is out of her reach?

I'll never forget the desperation I felt as the hope I held for my future was ripped from my grasp. I was only twelve, still full of childish expectation and ambition, when I truly lost everything. I've been told that when a person suffers a trauma they compartmentalize, storing certain events deep inside their brains until they're ready to be processed. I never did that. I remember every single detail of what happened, from the weather to how my dress itched at my waist. I remember everything from the day that my brother, Nicolas, died.

Archery was a passion of Nick's and, by default, it had became one of mine too. He hunted regularly, always using a bow and arrow, never a rifle. If I pleaded hard enough, shot him those puppy dog eyes he would say I was famous for, then once in while he would take me along with him. Even though our mother didn't approve of me going, saying that hunting was 'far too barbaric for a princess', Nick would sneak me out through the staff doors. He taught me everything there was to know about using a bow, from the basics to his little tips and tricks that only the two of us shared. It had become our thing.

It was a brisk, Saturday morning when my brother, four guardsmen and I set off into the forest behind the castle. Nick and I had hardly been hunting, instead talking about the kingdom's politics. Currently, our country stood in the midst of a turf war at the Southern Border and we were developing new trade routes in the North. I loved hearing about the details of our public affairs, seeing as I was always clueless to what was going on. Mother said there were far more important things for a lady to be doing than involving herself in "men's business".

Nick believed it was just business.

I remember he was laughing, poking fun at how curious I was. Him and I laugh the exact same, just like our father. It's almost like a pigs, choking and snorting on our own breath. The only reason why I was fond of my laugh was because Nick had the same one. He was always confident and if he didn't care then neither did I.

A twig snapped, cutting off Nick's fit of laughter without hesitation. Both of us, thinking an animal was close by, dismounted our horses and readied our bows. I went first before Nick, following the sound into the woods as he walked behind me. My eyes were scanning the dewy ground, searching for some type of trail I could follow, but there was nothing. I relied on my ears instead, straining them to hear anything at all. Still, nothing. It was like whatever was here had vanished, or possibly wasn't here in the first place.

It was so peaceful in the forest. The birds chirping melodies through the bright evergreens and the calm wind rustling the leaves had such an entrancing effect, one that made you feel as if you had been transported to a new world. I had got caught up in how serene it all was, not even attempting to track the animal anymore. All I wanted to do was stare up into crystal clear sky and let my guard down.