Chapter 22

Ross' P.O.V

I hear the front door swing open. "Daddy!" Sadie yells.

Sadie, Shor and Carissa walk in. "How do you feel, babe?" Carissa asks as she sits next to me.

"Like I've been hit by a truck," I grunt as I pull the blanket over my face.

"Guys go eat," she says to the kids. They run out of the room, closing the door behind them. "Talk to me," she whispers as she lays down next to me.

I look up at her, shaking my head. "There's nothing for me to say," I snap.

She stares at me with her eyebrow cocked. "What the hell happened earlier?" She asks quietly. I shake my head, burying it in her neck. "You just wanna stay here?" I nod in response. We lay in silence for about ten minutes. I was about to slip into a deep sleep when Sadie called for Carissa. Carissa runs her fingers through my hair. "Come downstairs," she encourages.

I slowly try to stand. She helps me down the stairs. "Hi, daddy!" Shor hugs my legs.

I rub his back, holding onto Carissa with my other hand. "Hey, guys," I say horsely.

Sadie smiles at me as I sit down. "Mommy," Sadie starts. Carissa looks over at her. "How come Skipper ran out of the door?"

I attempt to stand up, but fail miserably. I burst into a hysterical sob as Carissa tries to get me up. I push her away from me, crying into my hands. "Ross!" She growls.

I stand up, holding myself up with the counter. "Don't fucking yell at me!" I yell, "I need a minute."

She stares at me as I try to calm myself down. "Dad, what just happened?" Shor asks as he reaches up.

I lift him onto the counter. "When you get older, you have these things called panic attacks," I choke out.

Carissa Wraps her arm around my waist. "Babe, you need to calm down. It's not your fault," she says assuringly.

I take a deep breath. "Who started the fight? Who wanted to leave? Who the fuck forgot to shut door, Carissa? Huh? It was me! It's my fault he's gone! It's my fault the kids miss him."

The kids hug me. "No, daddy. It's our fault."

I shake my head. "It's mine." I pull back and wipe my eyes. "I'm gonna go out. Just for a drive, Carissa. Don't worry. I'll be back in like twenty minutes," I sigh as I grab my keys.

"Love you!" Carissa calls after me.

I smile back at her. "Love you, too!"

But how can she love me after everything I put her through?