Before the Lights Come On (990words)

The 2 train wasn't packed today. My feet hurt from working all day. Hunting is hard work, and the number of criminal activities keep rising in the Bronx. The train rocks back and forth and the screech of the wheels becomes a familiar background noise. I scan the train, a habit that I picked up through the years. 1 Orc, 2 witches, 7 humans. The train pulls into Pelham Parkway and a few more people get on, 2 humans and 1 person with no scent at all. I uncross my legs and watch the man from the corner of my eye. His eyes are dark, and his skin is pale. He's not a vampire then what's his deal. The lights start to flicker, and I slowly reach into my hidden pocket of my jacket. I feel for the small cool handle of my Magic energy gun. It's a useful magic tool to focus my magical energy into small bullets. I grip the handle; something doesn't feel right. And as if he heard my thought the mysterious man jumped up and in an instant his form turned into a shadow and jumped right into the orcs mouth. Everyone started screaming as the orc started throwing punches wildly. Damn! I pulled out my ME gun and loaded it with holy water. This is a classic possession. I fired my magic bullets laced with holy water. All direct hits. It didn't take long to exorcise the orc's body. I flopped on the train bench. Everyone relaxed a little and the next stop they rushed off.

I got off at West farms square. As soon as I got on the platform and noticed something odd. There on the floor was a large circle with an intricate design. I crouched down to get a closer looks. It has no scent. I whipped out my iPhone and took a quick picture to send to my partner. She's been around for a while she'll probably know. Within a few seconds I got a ping back. She didn't acknowledge the photo. She only responded, "The streetlights." Ugh fine but I got one more thing to check. The sun did start to set so I picked up pace, the dollar store not too far from here. Mr. Rivera just flipped the sign to close. I ran over to the door and tapped on the glass. He came running back and unlocked the door "Daniela, were closed." "I can read the signs; I need to talk to you." He peeked up and down the street and took a glance at the streetlight that just flickered on. "Alright." he waved me in.

I finished my interrogation with Mr. Rivera and headed out. Damn it's really dark now. I head up the street and back towards the train station. Wait a minute. I backtracked and settled my gaze on another circle. This time it was drawn on the store front gate. I took my phone out and compared the two. Yup. It's the same thing. I tried to take a pic and my phone died. Ugh I have to meet with my partner and fast. The streets are empty, it's not safe to be alone out here. On top of all that, I get a feeling that someone has been watching me. I act like I don't notice and keep a normal pace. Suddenly I hear footsteps. It sounds like a man, dress shoes, and size 11. He's getting closer and I can smell a small hint of demon. If he wants me, he's gonna have to work hard to get me. I took off running down the street. All the closed stores are a blur. I pick up speed and hit the corner. I jumped over parked cars and scurried up a fire escape. I made it to the roof and kept running. One pair of footsteps turned into three and the demon scent was strong. I ran full speed now, hopping the gaps between the buildings. I gotta focus, one wrong step and either I get caught or I fall to my death.

Fate is funny sometimes. I come to an abrupt halt. There are no more buildings to jump to. Alright then my only choice is to fight. I turn around and face my enemies. Like I thought, 3 demons, all dressed in a suit and tie. "Danny, Danny, Danny. You seem tense." The demon smiled and cocked his head to the side. His black eyes didn't leave mine. "Ubel, why am I not surprised." I rolled my eyes at him. I took out the ME and loaded it up. "Now, why can't you take your beating with honor, we owe you one." he laughed and looked around. "Where's your partner? Busy knitting?" They all started cackling. I spit in their direction and aimed my gun. The smiles faded from their faces. "We can't have you snooping around Danny girl." All three started towards me. Suddenly one of the demon's heads was sliced clean off his shoulders. "Grandma!"  I shouted. My partner finally arrived. She was standing tall wearing cargo pants, tank top, and combat boots. Her biceps flexed as she cleaned the blood off her demon sword. "I thought I said be home before the streetlight came on." she glared at me. I smile sheepishly at her.  We got into a fighting stance, ready to take care of Ubel and the other demon. "Hard pass." Ubel muttered and they both disappeared. "Did you see my text?" I asked as I walked over to my grandmother. "Sure did. These spell circles are used to gather a large number of souls." she explained. "Ubel? What does he need so many souls for?"  "I don't know, but if they are spread around this borough then it can't be nothin good" grandma said tiredly. Well, whatever they have planned we'll be ready.