Chapter 6

Lewi's POV

"I'm sorry for not wanting to marry you." She said before her eyes shut and she fell asleep.

Was she being serious or was it just the drunk side of her talking? Either way I felt my heart sink inside. It all makes sense. She was fine just before I proposed, when I went to find her she had been crying but she said she was fine and now she's drank too much and spilled the truth. She doesn't want to get married yet. I should've realised that from the first time I brought up the subject of marriage. She would always talk about something else when the word was even mentioned. How could I have been so blind?

I changed out of my clothes and slid into bed, my back facing her. I felt Leah's arms wrap around my waist and she buried her head in the crook of my neck.

•••

"Lewi, you've got to wake up."
"No." I mumbled and turned over in bed.
I heard her sigh and climb off the bed. I smiled to myself as I got a few more minutes of sleep.
But no. Guess who got hit with a pillow!
"Hey!" I laughed and grabbed a pillow before attacking her.

After a few minutes of pillow fighting, we collapsed on the bed breathing heavily. She lay her head on my shoulder and put hand on my chest so I could see the ring. I looked down at her and saw she was staring at it and smiling.
"You like it?"
"I love it." She said before reaching up and kissing me.

'I'm sorry for not wanting to marry you.'

"Leah we have to talk." I said pulling away and sitting up.
"About what?"
"Last night you, you said something."
"I don't remember anything last night Lewi." She said giggling.
"Leah I want you to be completely honest with me, okay?"
"Sure."
"Do you actually want to get married?"
She paused for a while, her head facing the ground.
"Leah?"
"I guess I'm just, scared."
"Scared of what?"
"Change." She wiped a tear from her eye. "This is a big step you know. I don't know if I can take it."
"But I know you can." She nodded. "I've never been so sure of this."
"I know it's just... I need time." She pulled out a suitcase from under the bed and started packing her clothes.
"Leah please don't go." I said, tears brimming my eyes.
"Please. Just let me go home and think about all this." After packing all her stuff she kissed me on the lips for a while, "I'll see you soon." And she left the hotel.

I sank to the floor and let all the tears flow. I made a mistake. I should have known she never wanted this.
I screamed out in anger. I was angry at myself for putting this much pressure on her. I may or may not have punched a wall a few times but I didn't care. I just wanted Leah back.