Chapter One

Vivid, narrow rays of glorious sunshine beamed down upon the village of Fundata, Romania. Merry cheers were heard as the children danced around the elderly woman, positioned in the center (today was her birthday after all). Tears sprung from her insipid, beryl eyes, strolling down her aging cheeks, turning every wrinkle into a struggle some mountain. One of her grandchildren stood out from all the rest, but not because of her beauty. Her way in necromancy brought awe to the rest of the people in her small -very small- village. Everyone knew about her power, though no one knew how she obtained it. Her chocolate raspberry hair rustled in the whistling wind as she pranced around her aging grandmother. The rest of the grandchildren followed soon after, forming a circle with the others.

"Look! Upon the hill, mutter!" Shouted a juvenile boy. The unique granddaughter spun to observe six anonymous figures, looming on top of the green hill. They were all priests by the fact that they all bared the sign of God: the cross. "They're the priests from Deutschland." Whispered the grandmother, into Emmi's ear. Striding in unison down the hill, came the priests, all with pearly white smiles upon their gleaming faces. Obviously, someone had invited them to Fundata, but who? "Are they nice, Grossmutter?" Emmi questioned, staring at the seemingly nice gentlemen, surrounding the long, wooden table, engrossed with blissful delicacies."I don't know, Emmi. Why don't you go and find out?" Croaked her elder. Giving her grandmother a sheepish smile, Emmi turned on her heel and - with a massive sigh - started towards the feast. Her white and blue dress flew and twirled in the soft wind with a passion, as if it were having a verbal debate on whether to stay still or not. But, as she grew closer to the priests and the rest of her family, she could sense the presence of an unwanted being nearby.

"And here she comes now! The beloved Emmi Lauer, also known as my daughter!" Chuckling away to himself , perched Emmi's father, Harold Lauer, in his big, broad chair that was fit for a king at his special feast. Now, even though he was a beefy man on the outside, he was also a soft, cuddly teddy bear on the inside, especially towards friends and close acquaintances. He had always wanted a son, but instead received triplets -all boys, of course. Never the less, when Emmi arrived, he acted surprised that he even had a daughter. Still, he loves his children all the same and dreads of them in being in harms way. Out of the corner of her lime green eyes, she caught glimpse of a very handsome face, glaring straight at her. She tried to ignore his constant stare, but it overwhelmed her so much that she quickly averted her eyes to greet him. His eyes reminded her of the grey clouds that hung above them, soging the sun; full of mischief and wonder. His hair was as black as a ravens feather, settled perfectly upon his angelic being. "May I say, you have the most wondrous eyes." The handsome priest remarked, snapping Emmi out of her daydream. Oh how she longed to touch his soft skin and lips, full of beautiful remarks and compliments. "Danke, Herr." A crimson patch flashed across both of her cheeks, revealing the embarrassment from within.

"Shy, is she not?" Her father pointed out.
"Quite." Came the same, low voice, sending shivers down Emmi's spine.
"Why don't you join us, my child?" Questioned another priest; he did not catch her eye, however. "I would love to." Shifting, so she could settle down, her father passed around the grapes and cheese, wine, bread, and, last, but not least, the honey roast boar. As the joyful feast continued on into the forsaken night, an amiable scent danced around the Lauer's family home. "Do sleep, Emmi. It's getting awfully late." Sounded Emmi's mother, her dark auburn hair tied stiffly into a bun. "I will. Ich liebe dich." Emmi beamed. "Ich liebe dich auch." Her mother replied. With one swift kiss upon Emmi's forehead, her mother briskly left the room, suffocating the flame between the tips of her nimble fingers, before leaving. Her footsteps softly leaving the floor in quick succession until they came to an abrupt stop in the next bedroom. CLICK! The bedroom door sealed soon after her.

As Emmi gradually drifted into a peaceful sleep, she silently dozed. Surely she would have dreams of that handsome priest tonight, during her restful slumber. Her snores were the only thing that remained awake in her small space of a bedroom -or at least that's we she thought. While her physical self lay unaware of the jeopardy that emanated at the foot of her bed, the sky grew darker as the rest of her family turned to their chambers.