3. Bruised and Pristine

Dinner was rice and some mashed avacado. But it was like heaven. Not that it was, in fact, anything special -- it's just that I mostly ate out most nights for teh sake of nutrition. I went to my room and played some music. I locked the doors, windows and shielded my windows with curtains. After turning out the lights, I lay on my bed under the cover and stared into the black - like I always did.

Why him?

The mind is a funny thing. When everything tells you 2 + 2 = 4, there is a deep tug every once in a while that causes you to do things that are against every law in the book of logic and sanity. I just picked him based on that. There was something off about his profile and frankly, he was one of the first prisoners I came across. Actually? He was the only one I could remember due to his distinct name and well, I'll admit, face. Kaya's father was about to walk in and I would've lost my only shot at this had I stayed and tried finding another contestant. Besides, the man seemed fine; able to break inside rooms and leave the place astray as if he was looking for something... hang on, given the terrible security, he could've maybe managed to get out himself. Why not? Nobody really seemed to care. As a matter of fact, had I walked without any preparation, I could've done it, too.

Though, the woman was also murdered - but not by him. But he was the only suspect. The images of the blood and yellow markers didn't wash off from my brain.

But, maybe that's why nobody cared -- he's... not "evil?"

Who was the woman, anyway?

I rolled the options and possibilities around in my tongue, for a while.

The conviction with which he said he wasn't a criminal -- it was joke, yeah?

I groaned. His innocence was none of my concern -- right? Jacob would poit out this man has no "value." I mean, yes, his "value," is in the abstarct plan I'm trying to wing, but... Shouldn't be, anyway. Not myt business. I needed him to find my own answers. That's all.

My stomach turned -- he's human, though.

Jacob would complain I was being too sensitive -- that I should take care of myself, first.

As the dark began fogging my mind; a familiar dream played in my mind. The one that has me in this circus. The boy whose absence has left me living this nightmare.

And why would I want to wake up from that dream? Fragments of him, closest he's been in six months.

*** *** ***

I woke up with the alarm the next morning and got out of bed. School. Bloody school. I just got a prisoner to my house and I was a bloody school-girl. What's next in the absurd list? Anime characters coming to life?Okay, that'd be cool. But.

I was showering and rinsing my hair when it occurred to me that Alexander would be at my house - alone. I groaned. How had I not seen this? I can't leave him in the place I live! He needs to be under my supervision. In the damned least.

I huff and walk out, squeezing my hair of water and leaving behind only the scent of my shampoo and conditioner. I decide to hurry and dress up anyway, as no matter what, I'm going out. I jump around as I wear my pants and quickly button my blouse. I quickly adorn mom's silver ring. I wear black eye-liner, stare and my eyes start watering. So, I remove it, just be to be stuck with racoon eyes. So, I apply concealer. Why.

I hear a knock.

"Alexander?" I sigh. "Wait and don't move!"

Once, I am presentable, I walk over and open my door, "Yes?"

"I, uh, understand that you..." he gives me a once over. "Going somewhere?"

I roll my eyes, "And it matters because? What were you saying?"

He swallows, "I heard the shower... so...."

I nod and appreciate his acute nature... or feel wary. What was he doing?

"Where do you want me to be, Miss?" he asks.

Miss?

I roll his questions around on the tip of my tongue before replying, "Can you get fake credentials and an ID?"

"Yes, but, why? For what purpose?"

"I'm not leaving you in my place and I can't leave you elsewhere. You need to be under my supervision... I need you to enroll at my school."

"Scho-- Yes, miss."

I frown, "Miss?"

He shrugs, "I- would you prefer something else?"

I open my mouth, but then close it. "Just... treat me as a person. You know? In the twenty-first century. This amount of formality reminds of me of that nun at school."

A smile escapes, "Nun at school?"

"I was thrown into to the God's care for a while. You know, Chapel every once a week, seeing the Crucifixion of the Lamb of God every once a week - the animated version, of course. I'm sorry if this comes off as blasphemy."

Catholic school -- wasn't my favourite part. Ever.

Kind of.

He laughs and tips his head back a bit but then, instantly sobers up, "How old are you..." he pauses. Then, as his voice is as careful as hands are when they are picking up shards of glass: "Charlotte?"

I nod, to agree -- that is my name... I hadn't introduced myself, huh.

I recall his buoyant nature last evening and frown at the change this man is giving me. As a matter of fact, ever since this man has stepped foot inside my house, he's been... obedient. I mean, he was in the car, too. But, then he was... joking? Flirting?

Also, Of course, I was... eiggteen, somehow. I'd lived.

I sigh, "Eighteen"

He nods, "Are you sure?"

"What?"

"You just... our first meeting..." he smiled and nodded. "Well played... but you're a child."

"How old are you?"

He shrugged, "Twenty-one"

I raised my eyesbrows.

He shrugged again, and leaned against the door-frame. "You're too... I assume you'll want to come along -- don't."

"No."

He sighed and looked me over again -- I fekt concious. "What?" I snapped.

"Just -- okay, at least wear something... uh, less formal or so? We aren't going to a pristine building... and y'know, you don't scream... I am confident, fuck with me and I will gun you down -- sort fo requirement."

He swallows and I see his Adam's apple bob up and down. Fuck, sounded good, somehow.

I camped my eyes shut -- sure, he's attractive in some way. But he isn't Jacob.

I look at him. He's on edge and I knew that look. That's the look I had when I was a kid and lived with dad.

I bite my tongue.

I had to act.

I even had a role model in mind.

Him.

That's when the puzzle pieces fit and my heart almost ached for him. I knew the fear, the terror. Now, I knew, Back then, it was normal for me. "The rule is... don't do anything that will have me haul your arse back into prison, yeah? So, I'm going."

He nods, "I'm sorry... and I do know how to get myself into school - just as you wanted."