10. Running away and fighting

I awoke next morning with a distant alarm and a weight over my waist. I gasp and struggle a bit and the weight is slowly lifted off me. I hear a hoarse chuckle behind and I take in the room – Al's room. I turn, "Sorry." I mumble. He smirks, "Good morning, Querida."

I roll my eyes. "Don't call me, that." I grumble.

He smirks again. "Whatever. Anyway. Go get dressed. It's my first day of school and I'd actually like to go!"

I laugh and then sober when he's serious. "You're excited for school?"

He shrugs, "I've just seen it on T.V. I've never been, you know? I want to know what it's like." He pauses and frowns. "Ah, come on! Don't make that face! It can't be that bad!"

I huff. "It's sort of hellish. Also, there is way too much plastic – fake smiles and cares everywhere."

He chuckles. "I didn't think you'd give a damn about kids?"

"No, no. I don't. I just don't fit in – they don't know that. They think I'm the funny weirdo and like to hang out with me. I'm an outcast... as in, you know... I don't belong. I'm too quiet, too hyper, too lost, too know-it-all, too reckless..."

He frowns and scrunches his eyebrows. "Have you ever considered meds?"

"I was on meds, but my parents prefer natural stuff – which I think is crap. So, after two years, I'm back to being a psycho. Also... I'm not...with my er, parents...?"

I study him in the dim-light. He has a slight stubble and his hair color contrasts with his grey eyes. He looks like some prince, actually. His eyes have specks of green and they are like the stormy sea – cliché, but true. His face isn't slim and he no longer has those holes in his face. He's patching up. "How old are you, again?" I mumble.

He chuckles and it's then when I realize he had been gazing at me, too. I wondered what he noticed about me. Maybe a twelve year old virgin. "I told you, Bambina. I'm 19."

I laugh. "Alright, schoolboy. Let's get on with the day." I frown. "How the heck did they manage everything so fast, though? You're name is still Alex on ID, right?"

He presses his lips in a thin line and it's obvious he is trying not to laugh. "They just owed me, bambina."

"Don't call me that." I say as I get up.

He laughs.

"Alex?"

"Yeah?"

"About last night..."

He groans. "Look. If you have an issue with us sleeping together, don't worry. It's not going to happen again."

I blush and smile. As I stare at the bed, I say: "I was referring to the file, actually."

"Oh. Well. I don't want talk about your lies right now. We'll discuss the terms tonight."

"At One?" I smirk.

He laughs and gets out of bed. "You know it!"

*** *** ***

One... Two... Three... Four... Five.... Six, seven, eight, nine....ten....eleven....twelve....thirteen. Fourteen. Fifteen. Sixteen. Seven – Come on; you can do better than this, Char! Eighteen.... Nineteen – And I collapse onto the floor with my chin on the ground. While I am feeling bitchy and looking around my living area, I hear footsteps from behind me. Wonderful.

"Hey, R! I wasn't sure what to wear. Can you help me – what are you doing..." he pauses and walks toward me. "Do you start your day with push-ups, bambina?" he chuckles.