A Fleeting Light in the Dark

**********

"Hmm, hmmm, hmmm. Oh, you're here, er—!"

"Isn't it a bit late to be off gallivanting by yourself this late at night?"

"Wait. What are you..?"

"Doing here? I'm here for you, of course. It's quite dangerous to be out this late unaccompanied. Especially for a beautiful, young woman, such as yourself."

"Well, I thank you, but it seems you have wasted your time. I am simply...picking berries for tomorrow's baked goods. I shall not be long now."

"Here? So deep in the forest at this time of night?"

"That is correct. So if you please, you are free to be on your way now. And, I thank you again."

"Now, now. I could not simply do that! Not when there is a murderer on the loose."

"Oh, I surely never took you as one to jest about such a grime topic! I need not worry. Those were all proven to be accidents, were they not?"

"The mysterious, 'accidental' deaths of three young women within three months? Is that not peculiar? A great cause for concern?"

"Why yes, of course. Of course it is an absolute tragedy! But one cannot recklessly spout 'bloody murder' without proof! Otherwise, the whole town will be in an unnecessary uproar!"

"...Why you ask? What makes me so sure... they were caused by homicide?"

"Yes! Hmph. Is this an act meant to ridicule me?!"

"Why you ask... why I am...so sure...."

"...That is enough. No...no need to answer. I find my task is finished, so I will now...be taking my leave."

"Why you ask.....That is because... the murderer...."

"I said you need not say more!"

"...........is me."

"...Hehe..... More quips? It is not hu-humorous... to t-taunt me so."

"...Those three others..."

"Hehe. You k-keep t-taunting...me. But it is not..."

"...they were never as lovely as you."

"...It is not a-amusing."

"I wonder how..."

"...Just stop...."

"...you will look...as the light..."

"G-get back...."

"...in your beautiful, emerald eyes..."

"Get back, I said!"

"...just fades away... Only then..."

"You...so it really was you...who...?"

"...when your eyes have stopped wandering..."

"...It was you who...?"

"...can you truly...be mine."

"...and this is what...your 'love' means?"

"Indeed, I love you. I wish to hold only you... to own you completely, my dear Lucienne. Body and all."

"Silence! Never speak my name again, you Demon! Stay away! Get away from me! ...Don't touch me!"

"How could you say that to me when I know you love me? And when I love you as well? Enough to kill for you. Why would your sweet lips spout such lies?"

"No! I am, I-I am waiting for someone! They s-shall not be long now! So unhand me! Let me go!"

"Poor, sweet Lucienne. You keep on lying. And your eyes, how, even now, they keep looking at more than just me. But, as I love you so greatly, I will always, always forgive you."

"...Da...mien...wh—?"

"Shush, shush. No one is coming for you. You are only mine now. There is only you, me, this forest, and the darkness of the night...."

.

.

.

.

.

AAAAAaaaaAAaaaaAAAaaaaaAAAAaAAAAaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaAAAAaAAaaaAAAAaaaAaAAaaaAAAAAAaaaHHHhHHhhHhhh!!!!!!!!

**********