Chapter 8: Truth Be Told

Life is like a box of chocolates but Kate has grown sick and tired of being smacked down by surprises. First up was the whole Hawkeye situation which she's glad happened as her dream of becoming an Avenger is going to come true. Then Yelena Belova barged into her life and Kate is now coming to terms that wanting to kiss your friend may not be all that friendlike. And now to make matters worse, she has fallen ill. That's what you get from going out on fake dates on a cold winter night.

She's been sick for a little over a week now. A very persistent cold, her doctor had said. Kate doesn't particularly enjoy being sick because literally, who does? But it's the perfect excuse to turn Yelena down for any hangouts. 'I'm sorry I'm feeling so sick and it's contagious,' she keeps telling her friend. In reality, all that she has is a slight fever, a sore throat, and a stuffy nose. But she has been feeling sick enough thinking about what she had done to make the fake gravity of her cold seem real.

Now she's stuck at home with Lucky who would love to go out for playtime at the park but she has Grills come around twice a day to do that for her. If Yelena saw her outside and decides to come up to her, it would be game over for Kate's sanity.

She keeps wondering what went over her, kissing her like that. Especially after really bonding with each other. It was a dick move and she knows it. Aside from that, she realizes that Yelena probably believes it was all part of the fake dating plan as if Kate is anywhere near the right person to demonstrate what a good kiss is. If anything, she could have used a proper demonstration. And oh, did she get one.

But then every time the thought that Yelena would believe it is fake starts to kick in, she wishes Yelena would realize it was real. That it actually meant something to her.

It's all a dirty vicious cycle and Kate wants to never fall in love again.

Now with everything that has been going on in her mind, she needed a serious distraction, which is why she took up some advice she never thought she'd take seriously: she enrolled back in school.

It's just an online form and she still has to go out for a re-enrolment interview soon so nothing is official but secretly, she's proud of herself. If the second time around doesn't work out, she will fully give up on the whole school thing but for now, she's hopeful because of this extra chance. It will be a great distraction until her time as an Avenger works out. Besides, meeting new people seems like a good idea.

---

After a couple more days, Kate is feeling as good as new and risks getting out of her house to pay Clint a visit since he'd probably like to hear about her recent decision. Even though she'd never admit it, there's something so satisfying about making your idol proud. Following whatever path they lay out for you feels like stepping in their footsteps.

Clint, of course, is ecstatic about the news, though he still plays it off cool for everyone's sake. 'Kate, I'm really glad you're doing this. I promise your future self will thank you.'

'You do realize that sounds like academic bullshit, right? Like, it doesn't actually prove any of my worth whether I go to school or not.'

Clint laughs. 'No need to tell me that.' He stares out in front of him. 'I never finished high school.'

Kate's mouth hangs wide open, wanting nothing more than to lash out at him and give him the same annoying talk as he gave her. "Maybe it's time you start thinking about going back to school." How dare he! But rather than lashing out, she simply asks: 'Why?'

'Look in the mirror, kid. You and I weren't all that different. But you made it to college, and I wish I had. I'm not telling you to do something you don't want to do but I don't want you to have the same regrets as I did.'