chameleon

Not only you wear masks, we also do. The difference is that ours often break. They are brittle, prone to cracking, even though they try to pretend to be steel with all their strength. We are certain, that we can perfectly blend in with the background, adapt to any situation. It is apparently an easy art, we have learned throughout our lives while being ignored by the adult's world. They drowned out our thoughts by stuffing their beliefs into our heads. With time, we learned to see with our own eyes, to speak in words made of perfect letters, we combined into sentences. However, oftentimes the tongue starts to clash with reflections, trying to keep them hidden. We remain silent because we know that it is impossible to convince those who do not want it.
After some time, it turned out that the person we used to imitate does not exist. Suddenly we lose the ability to move, we choke on the air which turns into flames in the lungs, stabbing our throats. The mask almost blended with the skin, we had time to forget what our real face looks like. We allowed ourselves to be told that we were so weak that the sound of our voice started to frighten us. We were looking for the monster in the mirror every day while we should espy it outside the window.