Last Christmas ❄️

Type: Hurt/comfort, angst

Warnings: 

Car Crash

Death

---------

December 25th.

It had now dated a year since that day.

Madeleine sat next to his lover, bundled head to toe in winter attire. They sat at the edge of the bridge with their feet dangled freely over the frozen river.

The sun had already begun setting, indicating how fast the day had gone by. Madeleine closed his eyes, allowing the serene atmosphere to overtake his being. Madeleine felt so lucky, so appreciated. He had spent the whole day out with his partner, playing in the snow, shopping, even having their Christmas dinner at a fancy restaurant (to which his partner had tipped the poor waiter who had to work on Christmas extra).

In conclusion, Madeleine just had the best day in his lifetime.

"Madeleine?" the man turned his head to face his boyfriend, smiling wide.

"What is it, love?" the knight asked fondly, adoration in his eyes.

"We should head back home soon. I want to give you your Christmas gift!"

"Oh! Why, of course!" Madeleine giggled, wrapping an arm around the other and pecking him on the lips. "That sounds like a fantastic idea!"

The other man chuckled, entwining his hand with Madeleine's. "It's getting cold, too. We can warm up at my house, kay? I wanna watch a movie or bake something! Can we make caramel apple pie?"

Heat rose to Madeleine's cheeks. He'd wondered what his dearest had gotten him! Certainly, something grand to suit a knight such as himself! "Of course, my dear, anything you want! We will bake the best caramel apple pie in all of Christmas history!"

Madeleine's lover took him by the hand. They walked along the sidewalks, the sky now pitch-black, though their path was lit by a dim street light here and there. It was a bit hard to see, but they would manage.

"Careful now," said his lover, motioning towards the busy roads. The cars roared as they sped by, and Madeleine pondered how they were in such a rush on Christmas.

"Of course!" replied Madeleine, who clicked the crosswalk button. The two waited a while before finally, the sign at the other end of the street flashed the symbol to go ahead.

"After you," joked his lover, taking a step back.

Madeleine felt a gooey warmth spread through his body. His lover was so caring, so nice. He wanted to pick him up and kiss him all over his face right then and there. But alas, he could not. He must cross the road first before it becomes busy again.

And so Madeleine took a step atop the white paint, his boots clacking against the pavement as he ran. He could hear the other cookie not too far behind. When Madeleine made it to the other end, he stopped and panted to catch his breath. Running was always much harder during the winter.

"Hey," Madeleine was halfway through turning around when he heard the loud sound of tires screeching to a stop, then a scream erupting throughout the area.

Oh. Oh no.

Madeleine knew that scream but never knew it could be so blood-curdling.

The scream was of his lover, who was sprawled out on the road.

Madeleine ran forward, repeatedly yelling his partner's name in a tone of desperation.