NEW BEGINNINGS

My name is Damien Bloodsworth; I'm what you call the city's most wanted man.
For over 10 years I've been a major thorn in the government's side, but it's not just their attempts that have made me who I am.
My time in this place is long past, I'm not a mercenary. I have many reasons, some of which may have been made in error, but I've come to find them out.
My story starts a decade ago, on the day after my 32nd birthday...

* * *

The day began like any other, my wife left me the morning after to go on her own, she never came back. From that day on I became broken; I stopped caring about anything. I couldn't even bring myself to eat anything.
A day later I decided to go and make a change. I left the house and took up a job at the local clinic. My job purpose was to give people the health they need and care they deserve; they were my reason to live.
I began to feel something stirring inside and within a week I had earned my first week of pay, then within the month I was gone.
I was on my way to the Capital City, but I wasn't full to take it on alone, so I was going to be taking some company with me. I got a ride from the local Sheriff, and he seemed like a nice guy.
Over the course of the trip we made small talk, it was all very pleasant, but at the end of the conversation he asked me what I do for a living.
I replied: " I'm a health professional, I specialize in primary care."
The Sheriff looked at me with a quizzical glance, "That sounds like a job for a dog," he said abruptly smiling.
We sat there and I thought to myself this guy is the complete opposite of how I had imagined him. He seemed like a crusty old traditional Southern sheriff who had not had much contact with outside the small town of Clements, but he had a carefree demeanor. At the very least he was not the typical holier-than-thou Sheriff.
He then started to tell me about his old job as Sheriff.
"The problem is that I don't have enough deputies," he said.
I assumed this meant he did not have enough deputies to patrol the county with safety, "Is that why you decided to retire?" I asked.
"No" he answered with a smile, "I decided to retire because I was tired of putting up with a lot of lazy lying people that I was supposed to govern. You get tired of it."
He then asked me if I knew anyone who would be willing to take my place.
I told him I hoped they would have a good Sheriff in charge, but I didn't know anyone.
"Well," he said with a sheepish smile, " I've decided to retire for good."
He then said that he had been thinking about looking for an assistant sheriff.
He asked me if I would be willing to help him find a replacement.
I said I was honored to be considered, and that I would try to find someone to fill his shoes. He told me he would be willing to train the new Sheriff. He said he was a little worried that he wouldn't train anyone the way he wants things done, but he would jump in and help.
We then began discussing the process of how it would take place, who would be on the panel and who would be on the interview team.
We decided to start with 2 or 3 interviews and then we would make a final decision, but he said he was looking for someone ideally between the ages of 30 and 40. He said he wanted someone who was mature, but wasn't a shadow of their former self.
We eventually arrived at the city, and one thing appeared to be different, all roads were wide and straight.
"What's happened to the roads?" I asked.
"I took care of that yesterday, all of my deputies are afraid to get in the middle, and now they know they can't run. I guess justice will now be served."
"Do you think that is wise?" I asked.
"What?" he said.
"They will most likely find a new Sheriff, one who may be slightly harder to deal with." I said concerned.
He smiled, "Well, let's hope that isn't the case."
We then arrived at the local police station and I said goodbye and went on my way for my appointment. Before I left I told him to be sure to keep in touch.
The session went well, that was how it went every time.
We talked about the few laws and how they were enforced and the system they were. I had taught them, and they remembered me.
We talked about the new Sheriff and his methods, after all he was the new Sheriff; he was going to have to be held to a higher standard, and he would have to work with me. We would work it out.
In the end, I thanked them all for their time, and left.
I felt that I did a good job, and I felt sad that I had to return to the bar once more.
I sat at the bar as I do almost every night. It's my way to unburden a little and look into the future. I looked into my glass and stared at the bartender. He told me he was going to get my drink and went out to his car. I was going to give it just a few minutes and then leave. I was looking into my glass and thinking about the night before. I was hoping for someone who might be able to save this place. In that moment I could hear the car drive up and stop.
When he returned, he made a bee-line for me. He came over and set the orders down on the bar. I looked up to him and smiled, "What can I do for you?" I asked.
"You know how I like my cocktails strong and clear, I'll have a whiskey on the rocks and a double over ice."
"You've already ordered it," I said.
"Well, I know that, but that means you can make it."
I told him to go on, and I went on working.
He asked me to add some more ice and move the drinks to this side.
We then kept talking about the towns and what our Sheriff was doing wrong.
I asked him why he was here, and he informed me that he was going to be staying for a few days. I then asked him to let me know if anything out of the usual was going to happen. He told me he would do just that, and then we got back to talking.
We talked about pretty standard stuff. It was a little while after we finished our last round that he asked me where I was going to be staying. I told him that I had a few places I could stay, and because I was a local I would be welcomed in many places. He then asked me about my residence. I told him I used to have a little trailer off the beaten path, but that I had abandoned it 4 months ago. Of course that depended on where you lived. I told him it was back off of a pine ridge, where no one really goes, but I promised that it wouldn't be a problem, he told me that maybe he would back out to my trailer with a bottle of whiskey. I told him I was just heading back to the cabin, that I had shared the location. I told him I would expect the visit.
The night was going to get late and I would have to head back to the cabin. I was on my way back to the cabin. It was about a 45-minute drive, but I needed to head out there and lock it up because I'd hold him to his word. When I got out to the cabin I stopped and looked inside. I could tell there had been no one there for quite a while. There was dust on the stove, and I could see some dead leaves in the back of the door.
I walked around. It was empty. I walked outside and gazed up at the stars. The moon was full, and the moonlight was glistening off of the top of the trees and heading up the little hill that was off to the side. I opened the glass doors from the front porch and decided that the night was actually pretty calm, I let the moonlight give the place a little bit of light. I walked inside and that's when I made my first mistake. I locked the door behind me.