Chapter 1 - First Encounter

-First Encounter-

My friend somehow convinced me to move out to Florida with her. I don't even know why I said yes. Florida just seemed like a good, exciting changeup to my pretty boring life. Although it didn't quite go to plan, because it turns out living in Orlando was much different than we had initially anticipated. It's not even like Calla and I ended up living the spontaneous and fun life we had hoped Orlando would give us. We were both working full time. I got a job at a local cafe that I could walk to, and Calla got a job doing who knows what. All I know is that our work schedules were opposite, so we practically never saw each other. So basically, I would go to work all day and come home and do nothing. I hadn't had the time or confidence to make new friends of my own.

My shift started at 7 am, five days a week. My 17 year-old self would have never expected me to have such a boring start to a summer as soon as I finally had the freedom to live on my own. But there I was, serving people their drinks and breakfast every morning. Mostly, the customers were nice, but there was nothing super special about them. Not until my fourth week working. 
Opening the store was normal, I saw some regulars, I made a bunch of people's morning coffees. By the time 9:30 rolled around, someone walked in that was- well, different. A guy around my age. Dark fluffy hair, dark eyes, light skin, and a kind face. He walked into the cafe sleepily, wearing a wrinkled shirt and shorts. He looked like he had just rolled out of bed, but I have to admit that he was still cute. I didn't even notice myself staring at him until he smiled at me. I smiled back and blushed, but I'm pretty sure he didn't notice. I hope he didn't notice. I finally decided it made sense to welcome him inside.

"Hey! Welcome in. Anything I can get started for you?" I said in my customer service voice that I hated. God, I sounded so fake.

He glanced at me, then back up to the menu above me. "Hi...umm...yeah. I'm picking stuff up for me and my friends, and one of them wanted an iced black coffee with almond milk and the other wanted a banana mango smoothie. I just don't know what I want... " He looked back down to me. "Have any recommendations?"

He had a British accent. Are you kidding me? Finally someone interesting and attractive in my goddamn cafe.

"Yeah, if you're into coffee, the oat milk honey latte is really good. But my favorite thing on the menu is the smoothie with strawberries, banana, and peanut butter. Sounds weird, but trust me it's really good."

By the look on his face, he looked grossed out.
"That's certainly an interesting combo."
I don't know what it was but at this moment, I was the most outgoing I'd ever been with a customer. Maybe I was so desperate for something exciting to happen, but who knows. I teased him a bit.

"What, you think I have bad taste?"

He looked at me directly in the eyes, a little bit panicked.

"What? Well I mean no I just thought it sounded a bit stran-"

I cut him off.

"Fine, don't try it. But if you do order it, and don't like it, come back tomorrow and I'll make you a free drink that you'll like."

He smirked and let out a short laugh. He looked back at me, directly in my eyes.

"Fine. But if I don't like it, I fully blame you."

I smiled at him.

"Can I get a name for the order?"

"George."

I couldn't help but smile while I wrote his name on the cups. He clearly was looking at me, and he let out a laugh. I froze, looking at the screen in front of me. I recognized that laugh. I had definitely heard it before. But where? I had no idea. Whatever. I was probably just making stuff up.