Chapter 3 - The Long Awaited Wait

-The Long Awaited Wait-

The rest of my shift went by painfully slow. All I wanted to do was clock out and check my phone to see if George had texted me. To add to the already horrible work day, the customers were painfully annoying. One customer made me make their drink three times because "I didn't do it right." I hate working with the public.

When my shift ended at 3:00, my hopes that George had texted me back were through the roof. I immediately checked my notifications.

mom
3 messages

calla
2 messages

Well, fuck. I don't know why I let my excitement get that high. I need to learn to be more realistic. Besides, it's only been like 5 hours since he got my number.

I got home, exhausted, so I immediately took a nap. I woke up at 5:30 starving, so I made my way to the kitchen. To my surprise, Calla was watching TV.

"Hey Calla, what are you doing home?"

"Oh! You're awake. I have today off! But I'm working this weekend, so... we gotta cancel going out..." She frowned at me, then started again. "I'm really really sorry, my boss just desperately needed extra people this weekend. I know how much you wanted to go get drunk together, but-"

"Ughhhhhh, Calla! I'm literally gonna be bored all weekend now! You know I have no friends."

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

I sighed dramatically, and started making myself a snack in the kitchen. I wasn't actually mad at her, I just wish she wasn't working because the weekend was the only time we could hang out and do stuff. This was not the life that seventeen year old us planned.

I walked back to the TV with chips and guacamole for us to share. As I was sitting down, she sparked up a conversation.

"Wait a minute, didn't you meet someone that you could hang out with? In your cafe? You started telling me about him yesterday as I was heading to work or something. You said he was British? And cute?"

"Well, yeah..."

"Okay? So what's the problem? Hang out with him."

I looked down at my phone, hoping for a notification again, seeing nothing. The disappointment was starting to get to me.

"Well, I was actually gonna tell you all about him, but I don't know if it's even worth it anymore."

"What the fuck do you mean, idiot? You're telling me all about him whether or not you or I enjoy it, simply because I'm bored and I need something to think about that's not work."

I looked at her, rolled my eyes and smiled. I checked my phone one more time, before speaking, just in case.

"So yesterday, like I said, a cute British boy came in. He lives around here. Moved in with his online friends. I told him if he didn't like the smoothie I made he could come back and get a free drink."

I started lightly laughing and paused my story, just thinking about how absurd the events that happened in the last two days were. Calla clearly didn't appreciate that, because she interrupted my thoughts.

"Okay? And? Where does the story get good?" I laughed again then continued.

"Well last night, after you left, I was scrolling on Tiktok, and I saw this Minecraft clip from YouTube or Twitch or something of this guy who looked nearly identical to the guy I saw. I was interested, so I watched it, and the guy in the video literally laughed identically to the one in the cafe. Did some research into the clip, turns out that the George I met in the cafe is all over YouTube-"