Chapter Six: Battle Of The Seekers

The following day was not much more pleasurable then the one before. After signing up for an interesting sounding extra-curricular class, ghoul studies, Harry went down to breakfast in a good mood but things started to go downhill once he arrived in the Great Hall. The four long house tables were laden with tureens of porridge, plates of kippers, mountains of toast and dishes of eggs and bacon, beneath the enchanted ceiling (today, a dull, cloudy grey). Harry and Theodore sat down next at the Slytherin table next to Allison and Tracey, who were deep in a conversation.

'You'll do fine, Allison, you have been practicing all summer and you got the build.'

'Thanks Tracey.'

'What are you guys talking about?' Harry asked curiously.

'I am trying out for Quidditch Beater after school, three possessions have opened up and I'm hoping one is for beater. The other person competing for the spot is Peregrime Derrick, he's two years older but six years dumber, I like my odds.'

'Well I'll see you on the field tonight. Good luck.'

Daphne Greengrass then sat next to the girls and started her gossiping, 'Did you hear that a first year Ravenclaw girl fell down the dormitory stairs last night, how hilarious-'

Harry didn't really care about gossip and instead turned to his porridge, but he only got a few spoonfuls in when overhead there was a rushing sound and a hundred or so owls streamed in, circling the Hall and dropping letters and packages into the chattering crowd and Harry watched as Hedwig arrived with red envelope.

'Oh no,' Harry said really worried.

Tracey, who had been listening to Daphne, turned around. 'What, what's wrong?'

'It's that,' Harry pointed towards the letter, 'I'll never gotten a Howler before.'

A Howler is a magical red letter which enchants the written message into the writer's voice, usually at a very high volume, which intensified if the recipient did not open the envelope as soon as it arrived.

'Why does the morning post have to arrive in such a public space? Ok, here I go.'

Harry reached out with a shaking hand, gently took the letter from Hedwig, and split it open. All three of Harry's friends covered their ears. He thought for a moment his eardrums would burst; a roar of sound filled the huge Hall, shaking dust from the ceiling.

'...HOW DARE YOU FLY ALL THE WAY TO HOGWARTS! NO NOTE, NO NOTHING BUT YOUR EMPTY BROOM CASE! WE THOUGHT YOU WERE KIDNAPPED! WE SEARCHED ENDLESSLY FOR YOU FOR HOURS, WE WERE ABOUT TO GO TO THE AURORS WHEN WE GOT YOUR LETTER...'

Remus yells, a hundred times louder than usual, making the plates and spoons rattle on the table, and echoed deafeningly off the stone walls. People throughout the Hall were swivelling around to see who had received the Howler and Harry sank lower and lower in his chair that only his jet black messy hair could be seen.

'...AND THEN WE GOT YOUR LETTER! INSTEAD OF WAITING THE SMALL AMOUNT OF TIME FOR US TO GET OUT AND APPARATE YOU TO HOGSMEADE, YOU TOOK IT UPON YOURSELF TO FLY ALL THE WAY TO BLOODY HOGWARTS! YOU COULD HAVE BEEN HIT BY AN AIRPLANE, YOU COULD HAVE DIED! AND WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOUR CLOAK?! HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD YOUR FATHERS BLOODY CLOAK AND NOT TOLD ME...'

Harry just wanted to crawl up into a ball and die from the embarrassment and shame. And Remus was right, if they had stopped to think him and Theodore could have just flooed to Hogsmeade or have his parents apparate them their. They did not think their plan all the way through. Remus' voice then became Sirius'.

'...I AM SUPPOSED TO BE WRITING HOW DISAPPOINTED I AM IN YOU, AND YES YOU NEEDLESSLY SCARED US, BUT MAN AM I PROUD! YOU FLEW THAT FAR AND WERE ALL RIGHT?! I DON'T THINK JAMES AND I COULD EVER HAVE DONE THAT! JUST THINK IT THROUGH NEXT TIME AND STAY SAFE...'